Author Topic: Playing in the clarion range  (Read 77 times)

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Playing in the clarion range
« on: January 13, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
I was playing Ode to Joy earlier, normal chalumeau range stuff, and I wondered how far I could get in the clarion range. I quite surprised myself how easy it was compared to last year!
I'd been watching some beginner tutorial videos to tighten up my embouchure and such and it helped me see how I've inproved!

https://youtu.be/APzsyCp1jSU
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Into the Black Hole
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
Re: Playing in the clarion range
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
That's great progress Larry. I hear the fun you're having. I was amazed as well how simply time and practice made my range extend higher without seemingly without trying, over the course of 2 years since I re-started clarinet playing.
Windy / BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C & G CLARINETS refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
Today I switched to a Vandoren reed after giving it a good soak, and the playing came easy. I knocked off Vincent by Don Mclean quite easily.
Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline shmuelyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:25:36 PM »
Surprisingly, long tones and careful listening speeds up the process; I hope that you are including these in your sessions. I often practice my long tones standing 1-2 meters from a high quality microphone with closed-back headphones on (I use Sennheiser HD-280 phones and either a large diaphragm condenser or my Sennheiser 421 dynamic.
Clarinet: Selmer Centered Tone (1 ea 6-ring and 7-ring), Selmer Series 9, Yamaha Custom CS 853, Leblanc Vito V40, B&H 1-10, Leblanc VSP, plus the middle school for sale list (all fully overhauled)
BC: Yamaha 221mkii
Piano: Mason & Hamlin Model A, Fender Rhodes Stage 73 Mk I, Nord Electro
Many saxes

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:32:21 AM »
Surprisingly, long tones and careful listening speeds up the process; I hope that you are including these in your sessions. I often practice my long tones standing 1-2 meters from a high quality microphone with closed-back headphones on (I use Sennheiser HD-280 phones and either a large diaphragm condenser or my Sennheiser 421 dynamic.
Yea I practice long notes every day, up and down the first scale (chalumeau range), often with a metronome set to 80:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsqEuPgAWst/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=dufr3t967lcp
Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »
They're not really long enough imho.  Maybe 2 or 3 times as long.   It's also good do it with dynamics pp-ff-pp and ff-pp-ff keeping the pitch and timbre as stable as possible.

Like this guy explains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPo_ZctgkJg

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:47 AM »
They're not really long enough imho.  Maybe 2 or 3 times as long.   It's also good do it with dynamics pp-ff-pp and ff-pp-ff keeping the pitch and timbre as stable as possible.

Like this guy explains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPo_ZctgkJg
Trouble is I'm quite unfit and can't hold my breath like I used to.
Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
re: breathing and tone support.

The all time authority on the subject is Arnold Jacobs, longtime tubist with the Chicago Symphony.  His principles have been condensed by some of his students into a program called Breathing Gym, which I recommend without hesitation.  Just do a Google search, and several examples of exercises are available on YouTube.

We have used this from the get-go with the school band I am working with, and the results have been tremendous.  It's so much easier to tune when you actually have support and develop a real pitch center.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 05:29:07 AM »
Well I watched that youtube video ^, thanks for that. I managed to do what he said too, easier than I thought. The only problem I'm getting is there's a lot of air in quiet notes. It sounds bubbly and rattly. I expect thats my embouchure that needs training?
Clarinet Pages are go!