Author Topic: Growing up clarinet  (Read 33 times)

Offline Andrea

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Growing up clarinet
« on: October 10, 2019, 01:01:14 AM »
I couldn't find a place to introduce myself, so I figured this would be the appropriate way--introducing my clarinets.  :)

In this picture are three clarinets I currently own. The metal instrument was my first clarinet, used from 5th grade through 8th grade.

When I reached high school, I was told that it was holding me back, and I was placed with a school bass clarinet for those four years. I would LOVE to buy a bass clarinet to have at home. I love that rich, deep sound.  Maybe one day.

Graduated high school and joined the community/college band for a year or two. Decided I was embarassed by my old metal clarinet, and bought my first LeBlanc, the L300. This would have been around 1998 or 1999, but the 80s model instrument had been sitting around the shop for years "new".

Fast forward many years filled with guilt for not playing. This last weekend, I found a LeBlanc Dynamic 2 instrument for $60 at a swap meet/antiques fair.  The instrument was sittinf in the sun, looking so sad that I had to buy it. I was thinking that, if nothing else, I could have a repair shop fix it up/tune it, and then I could donate it to a local school.

Got home and tried it out. It plays really evenly and lovely for someone as out of practice as I am!  I tried looking more into what this model is and haven't been able to find any other Dynamic 2s with the trill key setup like this. So, other than an early sn of 1425, I know nothing else about this instrument. The keys are intriguing and I'm going to keep trying to research till I figure out more about it, like approximate year.

To add to it, I've been browsing this forum and saw the idea about making a metal clarinet into a lamp.... i kind of really like that idea!

Anyway, enough about me and my instruments. Thank you for letting me join this forum  i am not a wealth of knowledge, so I don't know how active I will get to be. But, I love the idea of finding a group of other clarinet enthusiasts.

Online Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Growing up clarinet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 03:05:25 AM »
Welcome.

That's nice.  You've got an articulated C#/G# and a fork Bb/Eb.  Both are nice to have.   

If you hold C#G# key down and any right hand finger will close it.  It helps with some trills B-C# for example.

If you use the "long" fingering for altissimo F, (TR XXX' XXX) You'll find it doesn't work because of the articulated G#.  Not a huge issue.  There are probably some really stratospheric note fingerings that it screws up too.

The extra ring on the upper joint is so you can play Eb/Bb as T X0X 000.  The lower Eb should be in tune unlike T X00 X00 which is always sharp.

I'm not sure what the extra sliver (cross) key on the lower joint is for.  Is it connected to the C#/G# key - for faster trills maybe?

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 03:08:57 PM »
You've got some VERY gorgeous clarinest. A Dynamic for $60 is an absurdly good deal!

My screen name is Dave LeBlanc - perhaps that tells you a bit about how much I LOVE LeBlanc products.

As for bass clarinets - get one. You won't regret it. If you don't mind spending some time to learn how to do a proper restoration, you can acquire great bass clarinets for well under $500.

My current favorite is a very rare, very unique, and incredibly powerful Moennig Bros. low-C with extended bell that cost "only" $1200.

Second to that, I used to play a superb M. Lacroix bass that I bought for $327.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 05:14:25 PM »
Andrea, welcome to forum. You have some nice clarinets that deserve to be played. There's just something about vintage instruments that we are all drawn too here on the Clarinet Pages.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages