Author Topic: Totally New to Clarinets  (Read 45 times)

Offline DrDecay

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Totally New to Clarinets
« on: October 12, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
This ebonite Pedler belonged to my mother.  She was born in 1931 and played this as a young girl in elementary thru high school.  Her parents purchased it for her as a "previously owned" clarinet so it is obviously old.  I personally know NOTHING about clarinets.  I plucked this from my mother's attic just this a.m. and told her I was taking it.  The serial number is: E2708.  If any of you have an educated guess on its manufactured date I would appreciate it.  Maybe I'll get it restored and learn to play.  I have always loved the mellow tones of a clarinet!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Totally New to Clarinets
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
Welcome! So glad you found this community. If you love clarinets then you will love it here.

The other guys are better at exact dating, but I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that this clarinet was manufactured in the late 1910s-early 1920s.

The single post for the left hand pinky keys puts a strict upper bound of about 1923. The style of the case, with those little clamp things is 1910s-20s thing for sure. I'm going to spitball 1920 or so, and see what the other guys come up with.

It's probably a decent clarinet. However, these old, 100 year old clarinets often don't necessarily hold up to modern standards in terms of the science of construction. This has nothing to do with build quality - technology has simply improved over the years, for example the poly-cylindrical bore (basically gives better intonation and sound) developed after your clarinet was made.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't think twice about getting it restored, especially if you plan to play, and especially if there's a family connection it.

Realistic sale price for something like this won't be terribly high, unfortunately.

Welcome!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »
Welcome Doc. It wouldn't take much to get it playing again. It's "ebonite" or hard rubber, so that's good.

I bet Dave is very close with the timeline on it. We're somewhat biased toward vintage clarinets here but of course modern ones are fine too.  ;)
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DrDecay

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 02:01:52 PM »
Thanks guys.  I would love to get this old rubber restored.  Especially since it was my mothers.  Is David Watson still your "go to" guy? 

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  I would love to get this old rubber restored.  Especially since it was my mothers.  Is David Watson still your "go to" guy? 

David Watson is me! I would always recommend myself :)

Please shoot me an email at daveleblanc@clarinetpages.net

David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 01:39:39 PM »
I have one that looks identical, but with a newer style case. SN E20716, dated to early 50's. I got it on a trade, re-padded and working ... and I love how it plays and sounds. Mine has the same distinctively old-style A/Ab assembly and the short barrel (because the upper joint is longer) relative to modern ones. Mine is from the later post-Harry Pedler company, labeled The Pedler Co. But I'm glad to see it's so much like an original "Harry" which has been known for good quality.

I'm one of the ebonite lovers of the group. It is a great material for clarinets, without the problems of wood. Same material as our favorite mouthpieces. The keys are unplated "German silver" (nickel silver) which is lovely.

It looks like the color of yours has held up well, not turned green. I'm sure Dave can to a great job restoring it.
Windy / BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C & G CLARINETS refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages