Author Topic: Good stuff on ebay  (Read 106457 times)

Offline noneyet

• Learning. Always learning.
    • View Profile
Re: Good stuff on ebay
« Reply #585 on: April 01, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »

whoever ends up winning that one in the auction has their work cut out for them in terms of repadding it.

That would be me :)
Please let us know how that nightmare goes.

So far, so good. She is in very nice shape. The tenon corks look brand new and the pads are passable for now. Gave her a sip of key oil in all the right places and I'll oil her lightly after a bit...but she DOES play (within the severe limitations of the new owner...lol). Pictures will come soon.

S/N is 1083 and that's the about lowest I've found anywhere. Of course there isn't much info to be found. The highest serials I noted were in the 5000's. I guess that might mean she is closer to 1959 than 1962? What's the serial on yours, Dave?
Hoarding clarinets since 2016 it's Stu Weaver only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #586 on: April 01, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
The most complete one I have is SN 5213. The other, unfinished one has a similar number, somewhere in the low 5,000s.
Since the second one appears to be unfinished by the factory, I would imagine that was one of the last built before they closed up shop.

David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 02, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
Mine is #1149.

Just FYI, I got a soprano sax case for mine. It fits pretty well. No way would it go in a Bb case.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:21:11 PM by bbrandha »

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
I'm new to the pages so sorry if this is in the wrong topic.

Doing some research, I've found that a decent number of people hold the C clarinet sold by songtielun on ebay in good regard. Has anyone looked at the other clarinets they sell? (Eb, A, G, etc.) I'm a college student who plays clarinet in groups for fun (not a music major) and am looking at options for clarinets in other keys without breaking the bank (so good enough to sound decent and get the job done without breaking but doesn't need to be close to pro level).

Right now, I'm mostly looking at the Eb and C from STL
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #589 on: April 08, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »
I've heard good things about them. However, many Chinese brands are often somewhat lacking in quality control, so they could be inconsistent from one to the other. In other words, one STL clarinet might be fantastic while another built the next day might be subpar.
But for the price, I really don't think you can go too wrong.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #590 on: May 08, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-White-Vito-Resotone-USA-Bass-Clarinet-NORESERVE/392033678673?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I don't think I've ever seen one of these before.

And the white isn't discolored like most of them are! wow

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 08, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
That's it !!  Get off ebay, you guys are not helping to alleviate GAS.   ;)

"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 10, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
2.20 with free postage from Hong Kong.  Whatever they are they're cheap.  I've bought some just to see.  I'l let you know what turns up.

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 10, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »
My guess is a regular set of bladder pads. A clarinet and pads were probably sent to the art department for photographs with the instructions "get a picture of the pads on the clarinet".[size=78%]  [/size]
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical

Offline Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 17, 2018, 06:07:25 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Fernand-Chapelain-Co-Clarinet-with-Leather-Case-Vintage-France/273197688562?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661

I had been watching this, only to see that it has been pulled.  Too bad.  I foolishly had it in my mind that I might actually score a famous name LP Simple System in A for under 100 bucks.
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and expert bubblegum welder.

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:36 PM »
I know a metal Cavalier clarinet isn't usually something to brag about but I recently bought one for the low price of $30 on ebay. It needed a little adjusting (some keys were bent but easily fixed) and it plays just fine. The body is also pretty clean, which is a plus. Some keys have the plating coming off, showing some brass color but I kind of like it. Cool to have a little piece of clarinet history that I can play.
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline Tinker73

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 18, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »
Windsong, that Fernand Chapelain LP A was the first clarinet I've placed a bid on in a very long time.  I too was disappointed the auction was pulled, that was a fairly early example of a Chapelain, more than likely pre-1900, but after 1895.  The early Chapelain clarinets are proving to be very difficult to ever see up for auction, too bad the seller pulled this one, guessing someone offered him a pretty good price privately on it and sold it that way.  It was also a very unique bell for a Chapelain clarinet, but I do think there was a good chance it was the original, and the original barrel appeared to be in excellent condition, from my research the MP may have very well been original on this one also.
All posts intended for members and visitors to The Clarinet Pages Forum.