Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good luck, eBay seller  (Read 2755 times)

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
Re: Good luck, eBay seller
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »

I sure hope this is a joke . . . . . .[/size]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windsor-alto-saxophone-no-case-AS-IS/282741407282?hash=item41d4b37e32:g:C6AAAOSw~HBaExMS[/color]

I think you're all being a little harsh.  It's only $1000.00, and if you put another $2000.00 into repairs, you would have a perfectly good $299.00 alto sax.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.  clarinetpages.info  clarinetpages.net

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »

I sure hope this is a joke . . . . . .[/size]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windsor-alto-saxophone-no-case-AS-IS/282741407282?hash=item41d4b37e32:g:C6AAAOSw~HBaExMS[/color]

I think you're all being a little harsh.  It's only $1000.00, and if you put another $2000.00 into repairs, you would have a perfectly good $299.00 alto sax.

Same make as my clarinet, certainly not high end.
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »
Or buy a brand-spanking-new one for $299 from Amazon.  WTF
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »
I buy some pretty questionable instruments.  But if someone left that in my car as a joke, i think iíd set my car on fire, or call a hazmat team to remove it.  iíd be afraid of touching it, and bringing itís bad luck cooties into my house and infecting the rest of my instruments.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 12:21:03 AM »
I buy some pretty questionable instruments.  But if someone left that in my car as a joke, i think iíd set my car on fire, or call a hazmat team to remove it.  iíd be afraid of touching it, and bringing itís bad luck cooties into my house and infecting the rest of my instruments.
It certainly does look like it's been through the wars. Interestingly my clarinet is a Windsor, cost about $200. But without twists and bends like this item
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
I had half a mind to send the seller a PM on this one, letting them know about the apparent massive crack to the top joint that required not one, but TWO repair bands, but I thought better of it.  On the best day, blemish free and fully restored, the seller may be able to realise the asking price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Pre-WWII-Penzel-Mueller-Brilliante-Pro-Clarinet-Wood-Replaced-Pads-amp-Cork-/322888866720?
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and expert bubblegum welder.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
It certainly does look like it's been through the wars. Interestingly my clarinet is a Windsor, cost about $200. But without twists and bends like this item

I asked, and it's been dropped from a three-story stairwell, hitting railings along the way.
Seems the seller was just taking the piss.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OUTSTANDING-PLAYING-Silver-1923-CG-Conn-C-Melody-saxophone-case-mp-5/282880750778?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

"I say music is music and notes are notes, and the instrument either plays or it doesnít, and my advice would be to forget about the tech, play and enjoy the horn. Wait until it needs work down the road to spend your money."

I nearly spat my coffee across the kitchen this AM when I read this, and then watched the video. 

Right, then.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
Thatís a pretty great disclaimer.
He does have a good point. Unless youíre really good buddies with the tech the business is just like auto repair with easy opportunities to ďcharge for nothingĒ.
I feel like sax players are a lot more sensitive with their instruments. Half of them wonít even touch a horn unless someone else tells them itís good.
Then again to be fair they are pretty mechanically complicated sometimes, but still. If it plays it plays and just go with it.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
Matt Stohrer (Youtube him, or check out his website) makes the same arguements, and cites this as the reason he got into sax repair in the first place.  He even equates what many techs perform as essentially voodoo (my word, not his), and mentions once spending 300 bucks on a "repair" only to be unable to tell any difference in playability.  It's a shame, but most sax technicians are not great at their craft.  They are either not great at their craft because they cannot charge the customer for what a proper repair would really cost and therefore cut corners, and/or because they cannot affect the difference between a "good enough" and fantastic repair.
Saxophones are among the most complex of all musical mechanisms.  The degree of fine tuning necessary to have a flawless player is almost absurd, and this is why most players (myself included) learn how to push past small leaks, sloppy keywork and the like, though tone and action suffer.  Cosmetically, one cannot hide imperfections in brass as one can in wood, and the skills and tools needed to fully repair a sax in poor repair are far more involved and expensive than anything one may need for a soprano clarinet.  I will be forever humbled by those who are perfectionistic in their work. 

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
Honestly, so true.
I tried my hand at a complete sax restoration and it took me at least 10 times longer than a complete clarinet restoration.
Even after spending that much time, although it looked nice, it really didn't play at a top-level. Still sold it for a good penny, but I do have a great respect for those who can handle saxes well!

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »
I saw that too! Like I get that it's old but I don't know if anyone is willing to spend $6k on it
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
I saw that too! Like I get that it's old but I don't know if anyone is willing to spend $6k on it
I couldn't justify spending more than $300 on any 19th century clarinet unless it's something EXTREMELY awesome

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
Nearly every manufacturer had abandoned flat, round tone hole covers by 1846 in favor of salt spoon cups, so I'd agree that it was made early on into Pfaff's career.  It appears to be a very nice, seldom-seen specimen in near-museum quality condition.
Having to inquire as to its provenance at a Sam Ash of all places, along with the accompanying verbiage found in the listing leads me to believe this seller is neither a player nor a collector.  He's likely just some jammy git who stumbled upon it at a local estate auction.  I suspect he'll make a tidy profit as he certainly should, but a six thousand dollar clarinet, it ain't.