Author Topic: info requested on Martin Busine metal clarinet  (Read 2838 times)

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
info requested on Martin Busine metal clarinet
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
Gabrielle writes:

How good of a quality are Martin Busine metal clarinets? I cannot seem to find many reviews for this instrument. Also, what is a good price range for that brand? If you had any recommendations of some brands that make good quality metal clarinets (for an intermediate player), that would be appreciated. Thank you.   

There are pictures of a good-looking Martin Busine wooden clarinet in the Vintage clarinet section of the site. Since the wooden instruments are probably good, the metal model of their brand may be a nice instrument. But I would NOT recommend that you send any student to band classes with a metal clarinet. True, there are some metal clarinets that play wonderfully. But your band director may not take the time to even find out. Given the reputation of metal clarinets, he may automatically assign your child to the very last chair position. And most kids of school age do not want to look different from everyone else in their section, including not wanting to have a weird-looking instrument. Try getting a good student model plastic clarinet instead. See the Clarinet Shopping Advice page.

Check out information about some of the good metal clarinets at this page: http://sites.google.com/a/clarinetpages.net/www/metal-clarinets
But also check the prices for most metal clarinets. You will see that most are only good for making table lamps.

The situation is a lot different if you, an adult, are wanting to play the clarinet. Some jazz players enjoy playing metal clarinets.

I hope that I can get Jim Lande to chime in on what he knows about this brand.

Phil
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:23:05 PM by philpedler »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: info requested on Martin Busine metal clarinet
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
From what I\'ve heard, unless you have a Selmer, Noblet, or he ultimate expression of metal clarineting, Pedler, metal clarinets are not that great.  Now Ive never actually played a metal one, despite the fact that I own a few (all no working...).  But an (literally) old friend of mine (last i checked, he was 93) absolutely despises these.  He condemns them to only the newest beginners.
Hat may be a tad extreme, but he has a point.  
Random research has turned up a few facts.  Signs of a good quality metal clarinet seem to be: three piece bodies or at least a removable body; double wall construction; and of course full boehms.  

Dave LeBlanc
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

bugbarny

RE: info requested on Martin Busine metal clarinet
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »
Quote from: \'DaveLeBlanc\' pid=\'22\' dateline=\'1347171224\'

From what I\'ve heard, unless you have a Selmer, Noblet, or he ultimate expression of metal clarineting, Pedler, metal clarinets are not that great.  Now Ive never actually played a metal one, despite the fact that I own a few (all no working...).  But an (literally) old friend of mine (last i checked, he was 93) absolutely despises these.  He condemns them to only the newest beginners.
Hat may be a tad extreme, but he has a point.  
Random research has turned up a few facts.  Signs of a good quality metal clarinet seem to be: three piece bodies or at least a removable body; double wall construction; and of course full boehms.  

Dave LeBlanc

I have made a \"living\" lately on Metal clarinets.  I have done a MB and it played quite well.  It amazes me even with the same maker and model the differences in the horn from metal thickness to the keys over all tone.  One of the last student model clarinets I refurbed was sold to a player that responded to me that out of his six other traditional clarinets the metal one he received from me played the best of all his others.  Check out my youtube channel  bugbarny and listen to the clips of different horns that are there.