Author Topic: Thibouville Albert system Bb  (Read 3545 times)

Offline abellows

• View Profile
Thibouville Albert system Bb
« on: November 18, 2016, 07:06:04 PM »
I recently picked up a nice little thibouville  Bb Albert system. One of the trill keys is broken but I really loved the bell. There is another one on ebay but is a little too pricey for me, and doesn't have rollers. I just finished the first gilding and now I need break out the magnifying glass and needle to clean it up a bit more.

Any help on narrowing the year of manufacture would be greatly appreciated!! Under the upper section key work they do have 22 stamped. I found a catalogue with a model 22 but they weren't offered with rollers, and was much earlier I believe.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Thibouville Albert system Bb
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:49:02 PM »
I'd spitball at 1890 or so
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 05:36:58 AM »
1900+ because of the bell engraving, though...
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 07:32:32 AM »
I sure do like these Albert system clarinets!  Thanks for posting this.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
1900+ because of the bell engraving, though...
my dad always said "be aware of your surroundings"...
lol. in that case, 1900-1910.

Offline Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »
That's a 1901-1907 Thibouville, right there, because if memory serves, their next award came in 1908, and if it were after that, it would include that honor.  I have an 1883, myself, and have spent WAY TOO MUCH time researching JTL.  The company (family) history is actually fascinating, and they had an amazing shop.  You know, the family is also well known for strings, as well.
EDIT: Golly day, that horn is clean!  Don't know what you paid for it (don't tell me, please), but it's worth it at any price.  Look at that beautiful keywork, and perfect alignment.  That clarinet was well kept.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:41:43 PM by Windsong »
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and expert bubblegum welder.

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
After searching for many hours I think that I found the info I was looking for. According to the 1911 catalogue, the C Armée is the second highest quality clarinet that they made. It appears that this particular clarinet was upgraded to the BARRETT mechanism. Which added 2 extra rings, making my 4. It also had the upgraded rollers. It does have 22 stamped on the lower joint under the keys. Which leads me to believe that it was a 1522 that got upgraded and made into a C Armée. I will attach a link to the catalogue.

Clarinet info
http://luthiers-mirecourt.com/thibouville1911-2.htm

Quality info look on page 5
http://luthiers-mirecourt.com/thibouville1911.htm

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
According to a 1901-1902 catalog, the Legion D'honneur designation marked the very highest quality (and most expensive) JTL model. The only marks on the body parts are the pitch designations, all other information being on the bell engraving. On the Boehm models, the pitch is noted on the lower joint below the Bb tone hole (appropriately?) On the upper joint the pitch designation is at the very top edge on the front.

You can scroll down in this catalog and find the model numbers, decriptions, etc. It helps to be able to read French: www.luthiers-mirecourt.com/thibouville1901_2.htm#deuxi%C3%A8me%20partie82598259
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »
Thanks for all the J.T.L. info.  I really love the beauty and quality of their best instruments from the late 1800s, early 1900s.  I saw an illustration of a Qualite Extra Superieure model that pretty much looks like my high pitched Boehm "Jer Thib New Bore" labeled instrument with fancy flute style pad cups, screw on pad retainers on the largest pads and all metal lined sockets.  My guess has been 1890-1900, but apparently, like the post topic instrument, is actually more like 1910s.  I've only seen one other "Q.E.S" like it for sale in Poland and 1or 2 Alberts of similar, but slightly different, specification.  I often lament several other very special J.T.L.'s I've passed on, because my SO would have killed me at the time...Take good care of this!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:25:31 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 09:10:24 PM »
Thanks for all the info!! Ill attach a link to the other one on Ebay. It is a 2 ring without the rollers. Also I am curious to what the last line of text on the bell refers to. On mine it is AB on the Ebay one its PO.

On a side note a little about how this clarinet hobby started.

It started after my friend who owns a music store sold me an Eb Harwood about 3 years ago. I have never played clarinet but I was intrigued. He knew that I liked to work on stuff, so the madness began. I was curious about how they were assembled so I took it apart and watched a ton of youtube videos.  I had recently bought a 1903 Steinway piano from the same guy, and spent about 6 months disassembling the entire thing and rebuilding it. My daughter was about 7 at the time so we did it together and had a great time! ( I don't play piano either) She is 10 now and still loves to play it. Then came my Split bamboo fly rod making year, then Making Japanese Kanna planes, restoring a Logan 955 metal lathe..... The list goes on and on. Although I am currently working On a Tannewitz GH 36 inch band saw, and god only knows what else! Clarinets have been at the forefront due too my 2 loves woodworking and mechanics. Plus I love tools, every new hobby MAKES me buy a new set of specialized tools. And as we know, "He who dies with the most tools wins."

I have recently convinced my daughter to take up clarinet and she is doing well. 3 months in and she doesn't hate it!! So now I get her to teach me what she learns at school, Mix in some youtube videos and I can play scales LOL. My current focus is my embouchure and a tuner.  I am determined to reach an underachiever high school level. Id love to be able to give everyone playing characteristics and so on but I am unable. I will most likely send them to Phil at some point, if he was interested in doing a review on the ones that he hasn't yet.

Also I would like to thank everyone on here that posts such wonderful information! I have learned quite a lot and am looking forward to picking all of your brains.  :)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 09:29:30 PM »
I am determined to reach an underachiever high school level.
Ha, I've been at the underachiever high school level since high school...  (Part of the reason I now play contra alto, because I'm not technically proficient enough to handle soprano clarinet parts...)

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 07:14:27 PM »
Also I am curious to what the last line of text on the bell refers to. On mine it is AB on the Ebay one its PO.

I have two JTL Bb Boehm models from about 1900 and that line on the bell is also different AA on one and AC on the other one. One has a spiral register key and the other a rear straight key. Otherwise these are very similar with identical markings. I don't know what that could be but that makes four different designations at least, maybe something to do with the military?
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum