Author Topic: The true "Artiste" models  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
The true "Artiste" models
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »
I'll cut straight to the chase:

Paul Dujardin - French photographer and photo engraver, 19th C.
Henry Farny - American painter and illustrator, 19th C.
Guy Renne - French painter, 20th C.
Pierre Dumont - French painter, 19th C.
Jules Legris - French painter 19th C.
Jacques A. Robert - French painter 20th C.

And that isn't the end of the list. Sort of puts a different shine on these "stencils", don't it?  ???
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:45:11 PM by Silversorcerer »
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: The true "Artiste" models
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:45 PM »
This is some really neat stuff!! One day we're going to compile all your cool stuff into a book or something
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 05:31:05 AM »
This is some really neat stuff!! One day we're going to compile all your cool stuff into a book or something

Maybe we can call it ClarinetPages?  ;) What would I do with the information if Phil hadn't made this possible? He wanted some help clearing up the stencil questions. One line of investigation led to another. Who said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."?  ???

And there is you maintaining the forum, and everyone else that might be remotely interested? One can't write without a publisher. Research, even this, is the result of teamwork here. I'll admit, I'm getting into territory that is heretofore obscure question marks in the index of Hoeprich's book. We can no longer accept the idea that the "stencil" names were not real people, nor that these names were chosen without appreciation for those people. I am sure it will not apply in every case. We do see enough examples to demonstrate that this was a practice of French makers, or at least one or two French makers, and indicates that practice was common in the late 19th C. and early 20th C.

This most obvious example was sitting under my nose for a couple of years at least. On my desk functioning as a pencil holder is a really nice Bakelite bell, marked "Monet".
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 07:22:10 AM »
I always thought those were made up nonsense names, but with the info here, it appears not!  I think A. Robert was an actual instrument maker Alexandre Robert?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:24:35 AM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline gkern

• View Profile
    • http://clarinut.net
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »
Whoever Jean Barre was, my Jean Barre clarinet is one of my best players, right up there with the Leblanc L7.
Playing a clarinet badly is better than not playing a clarinet at all.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »
Whoever Jean Barre was, my Jean Barre clarinet is one of my best players, right up there with the Leblanc L7.

I have a Jean Barre clarinet as well. It's a pro-grade instrument.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
I always thought those were made up nonsense names, but with the info here, it appears not!  I think A. Robert was an actual instrument maker Alexandre Robert?
??? The name of the artist was Jacques Alexandre Robert. That much is certain. The maker? I'll get busy looking into that. There are a couple of recent examples, both a Jacques Robert and an A. Robert in the completed/sold listings. Take a close look at those two. In both cases we appear to be looking at a high quality maker, or perhaps two.

Edit: Well, I am wrong. Apologies. The painter is Jacques André Robert and would not have been well known until at least 1974. The Jacque Robert clarinet looks post WW2, nicely made, but not like an A. Robert.

The A. Robert clarinets are old enough to have a leaf spring at RH5 early on. I looked at two of these and the marks on them are quite different, but they also look to be made at different times.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:05:14 PM by Silversorcerer »

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 08:27:25 AM »
Regarding Jules Legris, I also found a reference to a Jules-Eugene Legris in Wikipedia who was a noted magician and silent film actor active in the late 19th C. and early 20th C. The link with the painter Jules Legris is more compelling, but there are indeed two possible real people that could have inspired the French stencil of the same name. Jules-Eugene Legris might be best remembered for his part in a silent movie "A Trip to the Moon" (Le Voyage Dans La Lune) that was internationally popular around 1902. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Trip_to_the_Moon

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
I found a far more plausible personage for whom the Jacques Robert clarinet brand might have been named. This is more likely due to the time period. Again, as has happened often now in the past, later searches are yielding better results. I think the Google software must work be working overtime. This Jacques Robert fits the pattern of naming clarinets after prominent French creative or cultural heros of the late 19th C. and early 20th C. Jacques Robert in this case was a well known early film actor and director: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730647/

A Jacques Robert clarinet is reviewed by Phil here: http://www.clarinetpages.net/vintage-odd-brands/robert-jaques-robert
The shared LH5 lever post certainly fits with early 20th C.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
Long shot????
http://www.askart.com/artist/H_La_Croix/11152994/H_La_Croix.aspx

M(onsieur) La Coix?

"H La Croix  (19th century)
H La Croix was active/lived in France.  H La Croix is known for painting."

Offline Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
Long shot????
http://www.askart.com/artist/H_La_Croix/11152994/H_La_Croix.aspx

M(onsieur) La Coix?

"H La Croix  (19th century)
H La Croix was active/lived in France.  H La Croix is known for painting."
Dunno...
You might just be digging for clams, there.
 ;)
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and expert bubblegum welder.