Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chinese C Clarinets / STL reviewed, compared to Ridenour Lyrique C  (Read 550 times)

windydankoff

• overcoming clarinoia
    • View Profile
    • website for my solar work / or for any contact
Re: Chinese C Clarinets / STL reviewed, compared to Ridenour Lyrique C
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
Yes I can! I just tried mine with the longer barrel and the mid-joint out a bit and it's holding very nicely throughout. I'll fine-tune it to your preference. I expect that with the short barrel and fully-in mid-joint, you would still have a good result for A440. You get the 2-for-1 special.

I would invite you to purchase it directly on eBay from songtielun, and try it yourself (to be sure it's a keeper). Also, to make some intonation tests of your own, so that I can be sure I can tune it compatibly with you. I will do my complete 6-hour refining and quality control routine for the normal $400. You get a 1-year warranty from me on all aspects of the instrument.

If you wish to contact me directly, use windydankoff at mac dot com. or call me at 505 490-0313. Santa Fe, NM USA.
Windy

Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »
Dear Silversorcerer David,

You wrote, above:  "One of the first things I check on a clarinet is how well the alternate fingerings check out below and above the break.”

I would like to check them on my C horns.  Can you specify, or give me a reference to those fingerings?  I have charts showing many alternate fingerings. I want to be sure I check the ones you find important … and I’d like to learn them as well.

Also, if you have any comments regarding the B and C “trill” keys which I commonly find way out of tune ... and I re-tune ‘em quite good. What? Don’t people use them? I find them wonderful to use as primary notes, like on a sax. I’ve seen many clarinets where they are way off (the C too sharp, the B very flat). And, I’ve tried others (a minority) that have them tuned well. I don’t get it. There must be 2 schools of how they are used.

Thanks to the Clarinet Pages!  //  Windy

I go up an down the chromatic from A (throat) to C alternately using the Bb side (trill) and the register key. Those two Bb fingerings should match and any way of going up and down should sound like a true chromatic run.

Then the B (combination) and C (throat) should closely match those (first two) notes above the break (17/6 Boehm). The reason I like the mid 20th C. Conn and Penzel-Mueller clarinets is that on these, those are nearly dead matches if the pad clearances are correctly set. Those are often far better than French clarinets that some presume to be better instruments, IMO. Pedler Woodwinds and Bettoney are also very good in this regard. Unfortunately these companies did not make C Boehm models, or not more than a hand full.

I recently learned that most of the scores calling for C clarinet are 19th C. or earlier, so I am using a Mueller type C LP to learn with. Those are not common, and the system is different (only one option for Bb, B, and C throat tones). I use a similar tuning strategy for the side keys. The top side key should simultaneously open the lower side key, and clearances be carefully set to balance the tuning of the B and Bb.

The pad shape on the register port is as critical as the clearance. Ideally, a domed cork pad for the register key should be used if the C is flat.

Regarding the use of the combination of Bb and C trills to get C, that is what I do. The pad clearances can be pretty tight. I usually have the register and A key open also for C. The notes I am most fussy about are the open G and the top C. The G can be adjusted slightly by the pad height of the vent under the A touch that connects to the thumb ring. This should tuned at 20 Celsius, or the tail is wagging the dog.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

windydankoff

• overcoming clarinoia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
Thanks Silver, thanks for clarification, advice and confirmation. I helps me to hear on The Clarinet Pages how you and others set priorities and do the tuning dance. Now I'm revisiting C-1 (my first STL C) to dial it in a bit more. Then, on to the next one, on my bench now.

Anyone interested in it? Let me know.
Windy

windydankoff

• overcoming clarinoia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »
Forgive me for "tooting my own horn", but I can't resist. Here is a review from the buyer of my second fine-tuned BLACK HOLE C clarinet:

“Your results with the clarinet are very solid. … I (with my Vandoren B48 dot 88 mouthpiece and Vandoren 2.5 reed) stay squarely in tune through most of the horn with only minimal sharpness in the throat keys (within my ability to "lip down"... an issue with all my clarinets). ...  I look to use your C when Beethoven (or Dvorak or Prokofiev or the others) and I next meet. Thank you very much for your work! I readily recommend it to others reading this note.  –– Mark M., Connecticut, eBay buyer
Windy