Author Topic: "Key of F Clarinet"  (Read 724 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
"Key of F Clarinet"
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:07 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1930s-SELMER-PARIS-K-SERIES-CLARINET-NOT-Bb-MADE-IN-FRANCE-NR-3DAY-/272801818909?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=D%252FxTRQLgnUkc%252BSqzSQqNEECuYv4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Here's the description in case you don't want to go to the link:
"This is a vintage Selmer Paris Brevete SGDG clarinet . It was made in France. It is somewhat longer than a regular Bb clarinet (I compared it side by side). I'm not an expert or player and after some online research I assumed this was an "A" clarinet and sold it as such. The buyer told me it was not an A clarinet and returned it as he needed an A. He told me it was in the key of F and that it played very well and sounded wonderful but was not what he needed. I'm not for sure what key it is in and I'm selling it as such. I'll do my best to answer any questions."

Really? What kind of idiotic buyer would possibly think that this thing is in the key of F?!?!
Something in the key of F is slightly smaller than an Eb alto, which is about one and one-half times as big as your standard Bb soprano.
This is ridiculous that we have a clarinet player who thinks that a soprano clarinet is in the key of F.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Re: "Key of F Clarinet"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Very strange, slightly longer and not in Bb, pretty obvious it would be an A or B. Crikey a high F would be tiny (sopranino?)
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!