Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off Topic Thread (ANYTHING!)  (Read 314 times)

DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Off Topic Thread (ANYTHING!)
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »
Welcome to the official Clarinet Pages Off Topic Thread.
This thread is for discussion of anything and everything, including pictures, jokes, stories, and everything in between.
Stuff that is NOT allowed: politics, religion, explicit stuff, anything that people have strong feelings about and could offend others.

Let's keep it clean, fun, and inclusive!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Thread (ANYTHING!)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
Here's a picture I took at Preah Vihere, Cambodia.
The structure totally looked like a pineapple.

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
I took this right in my town, Marquette, MI, on my way from Walgreens to my mom's apartment.  This was not the middle of the woods, but the middle of town.
There is a small population of albino deer that live in town, along with the many brown deer. I have deer walking around my neighborhood all the time, though not usually albino, though we have a brown one with a large white heart on its side. I'm still trying to get a pic of that one.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
What a wonderful picture, I love that both deer are looking straight at you!

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
I love your Sponge Bob Squarepants pineapple!  It's great that you travel, and you have a good eye to catch that.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

windydankoff

• overcoming clarinoia
    • View Profile
    • website for my solar work / or for any contact
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »
Not as far off topic ... About 12 years ago, I developed a "Multi-Mode" flute that could play nearly every note of 2 1/2 octaves without half-holing. Has a Boehm-like head taper for accurate multiples so it sounds like a cross between a good wood or bamboo flute and a modern flute. A choice of 1 hole on each hand are to be held down throughout the scale, to establish the mode. Rubber ring on bottom uncovers another hole for another mode change. Material is mesquite wood, extremely stable. This evolved from an Indian bansuri design, modernized. The fingering is so unique, I took a year to learn it well, and concluded that it would never sell. But I had loads of fun and satisfaction on this adventure!
Windy

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »
Your flute is really cool!  I have quite a few Native American style flutes, and yours looks like a lot of fun!
I never could improvise until I got into NA flutes.  Sometimes less is more.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

windydankoff

• overcoming clarinoia
    • View Profile
    • website for my solar work / or for any contact
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
I LOVE Native American flute! I have a collection, made some, made some double ones with unique tunings ... But just the most standard type is wonderful. I agree, improvising is easy even for those who generally don't. Can't go wrong on a minor pentatonic scale. The sound is expressive and soulful. Good training for breath control. Take it traveling and for walks in the woods.

I like to play at parties and gatherings - I can be nervous about coming out of nowhere with silver flute or clarinet, but if I start real mellow and simple on NA flute, it breaks the ice. It's easy and everyone loves it. Then I find I have the confidence to play other, more imposing instruments, creatively.
Windy

Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
Here's a picture I took at Preah Vihere, Cambodia.
The structure totally looked like a pineapple.

That stone cutting looks extremely accurate!   :o
"Free the Reed"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages website! http://www.clarinetpages.net/

Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
Yes, it does--Airflyte, (neat photo, Dave) but the footings were clearly not inspected by a structural engineer.  The leaning Tower of Pisa ain't got nothing on that one!
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and collector of interesting clarinets

mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
I took this right in my town, Marquette, MI, on my way from Walgreens to my mom's apartment.  This was not the middle of the woods, but the middle of town.
There is a small population of albino deer that live in town, along with the many brown deer. I have deer walking around my neighborhood all the time, though not usually albino, though we have a brown one with a large white heart on its side. I'm still trying to get a pic of that one.
Lisa

Way back in the mid 80's, during a January full moon I was driving past the Argonne National Lab in south west Cook County IL. around 3 a.m.  I crested a hill and had to come to a screeching halt as there were about 40 deer milling about the roadway.  Illinois heavily salts their roads in the winter, and the deer were all just standing around licking up the salt.  Mixed in with the normal white tails, were the famous Argonne albino deer I had heard about for years.  An amazing sight and one that kept me stuck there for nearly a half hour because the deer just ignored me.  Turns out, they weren't really albino, but fallow deer.  If you've got a small population of them, I wonder if they might be related.
http://www.ne.anl.gov/pdfs/white_deer_fact_sheet.pdf
http://today.anl.gov/2016/04/final-fallow-deer-roams-the-argonne-site/

If they are, I hope they had a bigger gene pool than the Argonne deer and will be around for awhile.  They are awesome to see en-masse.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.

DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 09:35:54 PM »
If you're really lucky, you can chance encounter the super rare Albino Radstag in Fallout 4 :)

Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Theater Organ anyone ???
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
"Free the Reed"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages website! http://www.clarinetpages.net/

mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »
For the Clarinet Pages Heavy Metal Band.

A 1930's ALCOA aluminum bass.  These were patented in 1934.  I've heard differing numbers, but there were probably no more than 1500 made.  This one could use a good body and fender man.  It has a flat spot where it must have been dropped.  The force it would have taken to dent this thing would have turned a wood bass into toothpicks.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
Wow, that would survive being played at the wildest honky tonk bar there ever was! You could hide behind it for protection, if need be.  Cool, thanks for sharing.
 I played the youtube video of the kid playing that huge organ for my mothet she really got a kick out of it, she remembers those being played at events.
Lisa  Upper Michigan