Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off Topic Thread (ANYTHING!)  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic Thread (ANYTHING!)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »
For the Clarinet Pages Heavy Metal Band.

A 1930's ALCOA aluminum bass.  These were patented in 1934.  I've heard differing numbers, but there were probably no more than 1500 made.  This one could use a good body and fender man.  It has a flat spot where it must have been dropped.  The force it would have taken to dent this thing would have turned a wood bass into toothpicks.
I see the aluminum neck, but are you saying the whole thing is aluminum?  If so, is that a screenprint on the body?
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and expert bubblegum welder.

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
The whole body is aluminum.  These were welded up to be seamless.  The only wood currently on this one is the insert in the neck to glue the fingerboard to, the sounding post, and the floor peg. 
It retains much of its original paint.  Here's the best info I've found on these, from: http://kaybassrepair.com/aluminium-instruments/

The Aluminum Company of America (AlCoA):

In 1928, The Aluminum Company of America  manufactured 50 aluminum double basses at their Buffalo, NY plant for Carl Fischer, who owned a musical supply house in New York. The AlCoA Buffalo facility was a “skunk works” where they manufactured experimental aluminum products. There was enough interest in these instruments that a January 1934 patent was issued to John Burdick and assigned to AlCoA.  By the time the plant closed that November, AlCoA had made and delivered a total of  approximately 500 basses. These were sold as “The Collegian” model and later as “ the Joseph Maddy All Aluminum String Bass”. They were available in the following standard finish and price:
Natural (Faux) wood finish: $220
Silver (unpainted) aluminum  : $230
Gold painted aluminum  : $240
The faux natural wood was a 50 step patented process whereby the top had graining and color close to that of a dark varnished tight grain spruce and the back / ribs / scroll have a curly figured grain patterning. From the distance of a bandstand or stage, you’ll have trouble identifying it from a wooden instrument.

For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Very interesting.  I've seen aluminum dobros, but never a double bass.  That polished one on the home page of the link you posted with the Von Dutch pinstripes belongs in a Rockabilly outfit.
 ;)

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »
What's the deal with Albert System clarinet prices lately?  I'm astonished by what they are listing (and selling) at.  HP or LP, it seems not to matter.
I'm not saying some of them are not worth it, but it's an extreme departure from what they have been hovering at for quite some time, now.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 07:43:33 PM »
What's the deal with Albert System clarinet prices lately?  I'm astonished by what they are listing (and selling) at.  HP or LP, it seems not to matter.
I'm not saying some of them are not worth it, but it's an extreme departure from what they have been hovering at for quite some time, now.

Windsong, did you try to win the CH Jerome on shopgoodwill  ;)
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages website! http://www.clarinetpages.net/

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »
I saw that Jerome too, but got so many instruments to restore.  However, it did look cool.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 09:27:06 PM »

Windsong, did you try to win the CH Jerome on shopgoodwill  ;)

No, Airflyte, but I sure was watching it.  I suspect that goes for a lot of us here.
 :o
WOW!

Offline noneyet

• Learning. Always learning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »
Add me to the list of people who were watching that Jerome. I settled for the "Peddler". Can't wait to see it when it gets here
Saving clarinets from becoming lamps, one instrument at a time. Only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 07:14:32 AM »

That's funny, 4 of us (possibly more) were watching the Jerome Albert last night!

Anyway, yes Windsong prices are going up on these. My simple system "revival" theory may be plausible.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages website! http://www.clarinetpages.net/

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »
There was another CH JEROME?  ???

Rats! The one I have underway is just lovely;- extremely good key metal and very tightly built. I just finished gluing the bell cracks and re-gluing the pinned upper crack that might be leaking.

I haven't seen any but this one I scored off eBay for nearly nothing but my trouble to find it. I should have a look at the other one.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
So there seems to be two of me, since I'm logged in twice.  Could someone tell me where the other one of me is?  I'd like to send her to work so I can stay home and play with clarinets.
The Original Lisa, on the Original Clarinetpages.
Lisa  Upper Michigan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
I was curious enough to use my Admin powers to search member list. Behold, only a single Lisa is registered.  8)
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline noneyet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »
"Lisa, Lisa" ? What I wouldn't give to have a member named "Cult Jam" join up, too  ;)
Saving clarinets from becoming lamps, one instrument at a time. Only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »
LOL, seriously that was the first thing i thought of, of signing up again a couple of times, and logging is as LisaLisa, and then as AndTheCultJam. 
I can tell you were a child of the 80’s like me!
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Offline noneyet

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »
Ah, I'm busted! My age is showing  ::)