Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where in the world?  (Read 257 times)

Offline noneyet

• Learning. Always learning.
    • View Profile
Where in the world?
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »
I'm just curious by nature so I often take a moment to look at other's profiles. I've noticed that most folks on here haven't listed where they call home in their profiles, so tell me : from where do you all come?
Saving clarinets from becoming lamps, one instrument at a time. Only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Where in the world?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:01:20 PM »
Planet X;- just visiting....
Nice beaches!  ;D
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline windydankoff

• overcoming clarinoia
    • View Profile
    • website for my solar work / or for any contact
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA  (The City Different)
Windy  •  The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
I'm just north of "Mill-e-wah-que" the Anishinaabe people named it "The Good Land".

"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages website! http://www.clarinetpages.net/

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »
Ha, Ive got you beat, Airflyte!  I'm in Marquette Michigan, about two blocks away from Lake Superior.
Being in Michigan, everyone thinks of Detroit, but I'm 462 miles north of Detroit, far above the mighty Mackinac Bridge.  We call people from downstate, trolls, because they live below The Bridge, and want to come up here to God's country.  We're known as Yoopers, as in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan.  I'm so far north, that people mistake my accent for Canadian, or associate me with Fargo, because of the movie.  And no lie, i have my various ipad and phone devices set to Canadian English, because it doesn't understand me if i set it to U.S. English.
And as Airflyte must know, we call Wisconsin people Cheddars, as in Cheddarheads, because of those wedge of cheese hats they wear at Green Bay packer games.  And yes, I'm a Packer fan, not a Lions fan.  I think the entire U.P. are mostly Packer fans, because we're much closer to Green Bay and have more in common with rural Wisconsin than Detroit.
 We've got one music store in town, and when i went there last week, they had one clarinet ligature and no swabs in stock, though they had about a hundred guitars and racks of cords and pedals and stuff, really disappointing, and they wonder why people don't buy local.
It's a beautiful town, despite that deficit, voted one of the ten most bike friendly places in the U.S., with 150 miles of mountain bike trails, 80 of paved trails, and even something like 60 miles of wintertime snow trails, groomed for fat tire snow bikes.  All summer long, every weekend, some big event is going on, music and art festivals, and lots of bike and running races.  I'd be hard pressed to ever move away again.  I've lived in larger cities, and as a former long haul truck driver, I've been everywhere.  Yes, I drove all alone, a flatbed truck where i had to secure down the loads.  I've been to every continental state but Alaska, and drove through lots of Canada.  Couldn't figure out how to drive to Hawaii, otherwise I'd of made it there too!
Needless to say, we get tons of snow and have a really long winter, we've already had frost at night.  We probably average about 180 inches of snow a season, around 15 feet, so winter sports and hobbies are popular.
I've uploaded a picture of U.S. 41, on a typical winter day.

Lisa, in Marquette Michigan, USA
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »
San Diego, mostly but plenty of time in Los Angeles as well.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
Pendleton, Oregon

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 08:08:19 PM »

Needless to say, we get tons of snow and have a really long winter, we've already had frost at night.  We probably average about 180 inches of snow a season, around 15 feet, so winter sports and hobbies are popular.

Yeah, you've got me beat! I have logged a couple of thousand mile on the UP's awesome snowmobile trails. In our younger years my buddy and I would trailer our triple cylinder Polaris sleds and head to our main destination in Ishpeming at the Country Inn and tour from there.

Lake Gegobic and the Porcupine Mountians I will never forget!

Oh, and US 41 is like a never ending road in the middle of winter . . . . . .
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:10:10 PM by Airflyte »
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages website! http://www.clarinetpages.net/

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 09:34:49 PM »

Yeah, you've got me beat! I have logged a couple of thousand mile on the UP's awesome snowmobile trails. In our younger years my buddy and I would trailer our triple cylinder Polaris sleds and head to our main destination in Ishpeming at the Country Inn and tour from there.

Lake Gegobic and the Porcupine Mountians I will never forget!

Oh, and US 41 is like a never ending road in the middle of winter . . . . . .
If you ever did a poker run, and went to the crossroads outside of Marquette in the late eighties, i probably poured your drink.  I used to tend bar there, we loved the snowmobilers, gret tippers!
My mother's family is originally from Wakefield, by Lake Gogebic, my uncle was a forest ranger there in the Ottawa national forest, after WWII.
 I used to live in Ishpeming, about 6 miles from the highway, back behind the Yooper's tourist trap, and spent a lot of time at Jasper Ridge brewery, not too far from the Country Inn.  I don't drink, but they had great food, and ate there often.  Small world, eh?
Lisa  Upper Michigan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 10:00:08 PM »
To be more complete, my years have been spent in order:
Seoul, South Korea
Arlington, Virginia
Dakar, Senegal
San Diego/Los Angeles

Offline noneyet

• Learning. Always learning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 05:49:12 AM »
To be more complete, my years have been spent in order:
Seoul, South Korea
Arlington, Virginia
Dakar, Senegal
San Diego/Los Angeles

That's quite a range of places!
Saving clarinets from becoming lamps, one instrument at a time. Only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »
Indeed! Fun times. I haven't had an extended stay anywhere but California for the last forever though, unfortunately.

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »
OK, Dave. Challenge taken, even if you didn't mean to start one.

Oregon
Morelia, Mexico
Oregon
Berlin, Germany
Oregon in various towns
Szeged, Hungary
Oregon again

Offline Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 08:56:27 PM »
I've moved eleven times, but only around Michigan and Wisconsin. I'd love to travel some day and visit other countries.  I'd be happy just to make it to Alaska, or go on a cruise!
My brother and his wife had a condo in Puerto Rico, which i was welcome to use, but oh well, that got blown away by the hurricane before i ever got a chance to go.  I can't stand the thought of someone else taking care of my dogs and turtles or kenneling them, so i don't go anywhere.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 08:01:01 AM »
OK, Dave. Challenge taken, even if you didn't mean to start one.

Oregon
Morelia, Mexico
Oregon
Berlin, Germany
Oregon in various towns
Szeged, Hungary
Oregon again
SO jealous of Hungary :D