Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Metal Jean Buisson clarinet  (Read 124 times)

Lisa

• View Profile
Metal Jean Buisson clarinet
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »
So I pulled the trigger and bought another metal clarinet on evilbay.
The pads are terrible as expected, but I was thrilled to be able to play a few notes. Of course, it's got some bent keys for me to have anxiety over, but really, other than being really dirty, it doesn't seem all that bad, I'm super happy with it!
I liked the thumb rest, it's not directly on the body, and the microtuner neck works smoothly.  It has pretty detailing that really caught my attention.  I agonized for a day and after not sleeping, bought it at something like 2 in the morning.
Anybody who can give me info about Jean Buisson, Paris France, or have an idea who made this, I'd love to know.  I know it was sold by La Couture, but that's it. The mouthpiece says "France" in quotes, with a triple bottom and single upper ligature lines.  I just can't make out what's stamped on the microtuner, maybe with more light and magnification.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Lisa
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:14:34 PM by Lisa »
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Metal Jean Buisson clarinet
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
 You scored a real treasure there. "France" you say? Well, who could that be?  ???
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 06:45:54 PM »
Is there any other part that is also marked "France"?
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:37:01 PM »
Yes, the left hand section and the bell have the same stamp, Jean Buisson Paris France.
The microtuner neck has something else, I tried my best to read it, and so far, can't.
I had to reduce the size of the pictures to upload, and may have to try again, I don't know how they'll turn out.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »
BREVETE

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
BREVETE

Awesome!  i had no idea, i thought the first letter was an “E”, so was going the wrong direction completely.  Thanks!
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:40:13 AM »
Yes indeed.
 "BREVETE SGDG"

That's a very nice piece.
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and collector of interesting clarinets

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 07:12:37 AM »
I found brevete sgdg is a patent stamp in France.  There's more numbers/letters further down, but those are really worn off, I'll work on taking some pics, but I don't think I'll get anything decent.
Thanks again for the nice words and help.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
This might reference a patent number. Metal clarinets were patented in France and there were also patented metal tuning barrels.

Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »

"Brevete SGDG", (Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement) was inscribed upon a good many things at the time.
It let the viewer of the "warning" know that the item was patented, but that the government offered no protection against, and assumed no liability for copyright infringements, as I understand it. (Some warning, eh?)
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and collector of interesting clarinets

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 08:33:46 PM »

"Brevete SGDG", (Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement) was inscribed upon a good many things at the time.
It let the viewer of the "warning" know that the item was patented, but that the government offered no protection against, and assumed no liability for copyright infringements, as I understand it. (Some warning, eh?)

LOL, i read that somewhere also, when i researched what the term meant.  We recognize you did something, but don’t care all that much.  Well, looking at the lovely Conn metal clarinets and others made here in the U..S., i’m glad nothing was enforced.  It probably was not enforceable across borders anyhow.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
Well, I got a bunch of baggies and took it all apart.  There are no other marks, except on the right hand joint, it is stamped F27, which match the bottom of the left pinky key stamp.  It's got all leather pads, except for the bottom four largest pads, which were mostly disintegrated bladder, I think.  It was easy to take apart, with only two seized short screws, and does have one blue needle spring.  I'm hoping doctor's oil will loosen the screws up.  Overall, it's going pretty good, I didn't break anything!
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
I’m pretty sure i’m the only one losing sleep over the two stuck screws, but i did manage to get them out once i gave them a shot with PB Blaster, nut and bolt buster.  It worked like a charm, and now I can go to bed!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:29:22 AM by Lisa »
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Stuck screws are indeed a night mare. Glad you got them to move, ain't I'm writing down that stuff for my next supply order. I've had some success with Karol, by Kano, sometimes with heat to the post. PB blaster sounds like it might be worth a try.

Lisa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
I'm sure it's common sense, but for some other newbie like me reading this, I'll elaborate.
I folded a paper towel several layers thick, and poked just the post I was working on through it, and sprayed just the post and screw.  I tapped it very gently a few times with my tiny screwdriver as the directions said could be done, and two minutes later, was able to easily turn the screw out.  The other was more nerve wracking, as the previous owners has completely mangled the screw end, so there was hardly a groove to fit the tip of the screwdriver into, so that wasn't working.  As I had already finessed the key out since the screw was already backed out a little bit, just enough wiggle room to remove the key.  I grabbed the pointed tip of the screw and easily turned it out that way, until there was more of the screw head sticking out and I could grab it with tiny needle nose pliers and twist it out. I'm not sure how bad it was stuck, since there was no groove for the screwdriver to fit into.  Either way, the first screw was definitely stuck, and came out painlessly once it got a shot of the Blaster, then I washed the joint with warm soapy water to preserve the finish in case any Blaster got on it, though I was very careful.  If I used it on wood or hard rubber, I'd for sure put the instrument in a plastic bag or wrap it with cling wrap, then poke the post through the plastic and paper towel to protect the wood or rubber from the rather harsh solvents.  But it sure beats a broken post.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan