Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clarinet manufacture and invention timeline  (Read 222 times)

Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
Re: Clarinet manufacture and invention timeline
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »
British sports cars, you say?  I take it you are well acquainted with Joseph Lucas electrics, then...
;D
I have a soft spot in my heart for vintage English tin, myself.

In regards to Adam Neely's video, I find his snide remark "It's basically just a big new age circle jerk"  really off-putting. Too bad, he seems like a smart guy.  255 "thumbs down" - must be all "new agers".

Why can't a person enjoy music ( even if on a spiritual level) at the pitch of his or her choosing without nasty derogatory labels?  Are we still in grade school? Ever hear of John Coltrane? Was he spiritual? Sure he was.  Did he play at 440 ish? I guess. Would he have adopted 432Hz if Selmer made such a horn?   Who knows?

Go search YouTube for "Mine Craft music" or "C418". Guess what? Lots of people just love that music. I bet it's not at 440Hz.

I like 432Hz, still shoot 35 mm film, drive an old British sports car and have 2 cats in the yard. If that make me a "new ager" than so be it.
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and collector of interesting clarinets

Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »
A different video? Always look at both sides, because the truth is, there are always things we don't know, and experience is the best teacher:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FY74AFQl2qQ
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
British sports cars, you say?  I take it you are well acquainted with Joseph Lucas electrics, then...
;D
I have a soft spot in my heart for vintage English tin, myself.

In regards to Adam Neely's video, I find his snide remark "It's basically just a big new age circle jerk"  really off-putting. Too bad, he seems like a smart guy.  255 "thumbs down" - must be all "new agers".

Why can't a person enjoy music ( even if on a spiritual level) at the pitch of his or her choosing without nasty derogatory labels?  Are we still in grade school? Ever hear of John Coltrane? Was he spiritual? Sure he was.  Did he play at 440 ish? I guess. Would he have adopted 432Hz if Selmer made such a horn?   Who knows?

Go search YouTube for "Mine Craft music" or "C418". Guess what? Lots of people just love that music. I bet it's not at 440Hz.

I like 432Hz, still shoot 35 mm film, drive an old British sports car and have 2 cats in the yard. If that make me a "new ager" than so be it.

Yes! Triumph Spitfire. Drove it to Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI. for the vintage race weekend. Good fun watching the (real) Mini Coopers fly around the track.
"Free the Reed"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages website! http://www.clarinetpages.net/

Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »
Nice!
I've always been partial to Triumphs-especially in 2-wheeled form, and still have my Bonneville.
I like the low centre of gravity and extreme light weight of a real roadster like your Spitfire, though.
I'll bet it's a lot of fun on 2-lane country roads.

noneyet

• Learning. Always learning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 07:25:25 PM »

Lucas, the Prince of Darkness! I had a 1966 MGB that had two 6-volts wired in tandem. With a positive ground (earth). Learned about that the hard way...LOL. It's funny now, but not so much at the time.
Saving clarinets from becoming lamps, one instrument at a time. Only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
Prince of Darkness, indeed.  And earth was ALWAYS positive on vehicles from Ole Blighty.  Lucas chuckles from the grave every time a Yank confuses it (and I've done it, myself).
Lucas was most famous for his quote, "A gentleman has no business motoring about after dark".
 ;)
And a 1966 MGB?  Classic!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:08:04 AM by Windsong »

andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
(back to topic?)

1770: Anthon Weidinger, of Vienna, invents the keyed trumpet.  Said to have sounded like a "Demented Oboe... despite Haydn's efforts, the keyed trumpet had no real success- the explanation may be that the holes detracted from the brilliant tone of the instrument.”

1810: Joseph Halliday of Dublin, Ireland, invents the keyed bugle, based on the keyed trumpet.  The Ophicleide followed in 1821, again from his hands.

1846: Adolphe Sax invents the saxophone.  (He was an instrument maker, flautist, and clarinetist.)

The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
1816: Invention of the Metronome.

The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Airflyte

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
(back to topic?)

1846: Adolphe Sax invents the saxophone.  (He was an instrument maker, flautist, and clarinetist.)

I have been flirting with this temptress. The curves drew me in and it's sultry sound has haunted my senses.
Alas, as with most affairs, the wind has shifted and I now realize the warmth of my first love will never go cold.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:41:01 AM by Airflyte »
"Free the Reed"

Airflyte

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »
Another good vid for Mozart fans (and fans of period clarinets in C ) ( and basset horns )  . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3FSlnbe7yU  (Colin Lawson discusses Mozart)
"Free the Reed"

Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 01:45:27 AM »
Another good vid for Mozart fans (and fans of period clarinets in C ) ( and basset horns )  . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3FSlnbe7yU  (Colin Lawson discusses Mozart)

I met Colin while I was on a classical clarinet making course.  He gave me a brief lesson and criticised my posture saying I should hold my head up straighter.  Now I see him in this video leaning forwards with with his head down.  I'll bet he hated seeing that he did that.

Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »
Glass houses are indeed as transparent as they are fragile, eh?