Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage wooden clarinet  (Read 45 times)

Naked Dog

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Vintage wooden clarinet
« on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
I picked this clarinet up in Japan in 1980. It has no maker's mark on it at all, and I have been unable to locate images of anything somilar. The joints were waxed string and the pads were soft leather. The decrative rings at the joints were also held on with waxed string. I tried to attach a photo but 600 kb is just too small for my tablet or my phone or my camera to manage.

The mouthpiece is chipped and is made from the same wood as the other pieces. The keys are controlled by flat metal springs, and all are nailed in place. It does not have rings but the finger holes are lined with metal. The wood is a beautiful brown and black grain. I am hoping somebody can help me identify this thing. The fact that I got it in Japan is no indication of maker; a friend picked up a 1950 New York Bach Coronet there as well.

Lisa

• View Profile
Re: Vintage wooden clarinet
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »
http://www.picresize.com/
You can resize your picture here for free quite easily.  There’s a lot of great people here who can help you much better with a picture.
Lisa
Lisa  Upper Michigan

Everything will B(b)-Fine, at The Clarinet Pages

https://www.flickr.com/photos/148152785@N03/albums  My musical instrument pics, and others!

Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »
If you have a Facebook account, you can upload to FB, then post a link here and that works.

I don't think many makers lined the holes with metal. It sounds like mid 19th C. Have you compared it with instruments in Musical Instruments Museums Online? I use that and a few other collections to compare antique models.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:33:42 AM by Silversorcerer »
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
Alternatively, you can email the pictures to me at daveleblanc@clarinetpages.net and I'll post them for you.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages