Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leon Trotts clarinet, with obvious historic importance  (Read 58 times)

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
Leon Trotts clarinet, with obvious historic importance
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
Here's one for you history enthusiasts! https://sites.google.com/a/clarinetpages.net/www/vintage-odd-brands/trotts-leon-trotts

Leon Trotsky was a Russian revolutionist. His real name was Lev Davidovich Bronstein. At the height of his power, Trotsky was a leader in the Politburo and Commissars of Military and Naval Affairs. But things didnít go so well in opposing Stalin. He was assassinated in Mexico City in 1940. Unfortunately, in the Wikipedia article about him, there is not one word about him playing the clarinet! His musical friends surely would have called him Trotts. Aww, come on now! Surely his biographers should mention that he had a line of clarinets made by the Couesnon factory in France!

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
Re: Leon Trotts clarinet, with obvious historic importance
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17:23 PM »
Phil,
I think you're mis-reading a fancy lower-case e as an s.  See the capture below.  It's a blow up of the logo on your site.
 I have a Leon Trotte, Mantes a Paris with a different logo.  MIne is in the 1600's serial numbering, which could account for the different logo.

There was a Leon Trotte in Mantes who was the president of the Ensemble Orchestral of Mantes-la-Ville from 1956 until he passed away in 1983.  If you speak/read French, the link below shows the info, or in my case, I use Chrome and have it translate the page for me.   

http://www.ensembleorchestral.com/spip.php?article5

Hopefully the attachments will be view-able,  both are captures using windows snip-it, so not very big files.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:20:10 PM by mechanic »
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.  clarinetpages.info  clarinetpages.net

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 12:57:17 AM »
I concur with the name being Trotte.

This info should be good fodder for more research!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
You all are RIGHT, and fortunately the person I sent the Trotte clarinet to set me straight. I have sort of corrected my article. But I liked the concocted story so much that I kept it around for laughs.
Thanks to those of you who check facts for error prone people like me!