Author Topic: Confession Thread.  (Read 213 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Confession Thread.
« on: December 18, 2018, 08:44:47 PM »
With the lack of new posts lately, thought I'd try to do something different.

What's a music related confession that you've been dying to tell?

For me, it's the fact that I am actually quite terrible at playing all clarinets.

In mid-7th grade, the band director "upgraded" me to playing the bass clarinet, mostly because there were zero basses in the band. After that, I never went back to soprano.

I played bass clarinet from 7th to 9th grade, and then quite clarinet entirely. I would pick up my old Buffet B12 (as I did not own a bass) maybe once a month and jam out a little bit, but not at all regularly.

I did not play any kind of clarinet in any capacity until I was a freshman in college, when I took a 2-unit band course where I was able to borrow a school LeBlanc bass for ZERO cost, because once again there were exactly zero bass clarinets in the entire band.

The second quarter of freshman year, I purchased for myself a M. Lacroix bass clarinet which was my daily player for a bit. I soon acquired a Conn hard rubber bass, and played on that for a while. I lent the Conn to a fellow band member and went back to the M. Lacroix.

At one point I sold both of the bass clarinets and QUIT the school band entirely.

I did not play again until junior year, when I bought for myself a Bundy contra alto clarinet which I played in both the school band and an extra-curricular video game music group.

I then sold the contra alto and quit playing for a year. I bought another contra alto and then rejoined the school band for one quarter, and then quit the school band again. I continued on in the extra curricular group for the remainder of senior year and all of my graduate year.

The real confession here is that I was never that good at any of the clarinets I played. I was only "in demand" because I played the bass clarinet which nobody else played.
After that, I was "in demand" because I played the contra alto clarinet which literally nobody else played.

David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
Re: Confession Thread.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 10:02:28 PM »
I guess my confession is that I enjoy building my collection of instruments (clarinets, saxes, ocarinas, etc.) but have never taken the time to actually get good at any of them. I can play them all fairly well but stick something hard in front of me and I fall apart :P 

Either that, or I enjoy having instruments that have little practical value for groups that I play in, like ocarinas in nearly every major key, or my Eb Albert or Bb metal clarinets, and soon to get C clarinet and maybe a C melody sax. I guess I enjoy collecting obscure or "different" instruments by today's standards
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 05:39:17 PM »
Ok, I'm in on this one. I think I may have some kind of ADHD thing going on with instruments. The first aspect of it is what I have aptly named "Thrill of Acquisition" - also known as "TOA". We all love acronyms, right?

After the TOA buzz wears off. You get to know instrument. It's faults, it's charms and such. Let's just call this a bonding period.

Then there's the period where it sits in the case for a while. During this time, one can go through all the other instruments that started off just like the one going into a period of temporary stasis.

Now, if I had more time, I could refurbish some of these relics and enjoy them more. For now, I will just have to rotate the fiddle, viola, bass guitar, classical guitar, clarinet, tin whistle, Casio keyboard, alto sax, tenor sax, bari sax, etc. Master of none of them, rest assured.

Just picked a cheap used drum set as well. Lemme tell ya, the wife is not thrilled with that "TOA"  >:(

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:37:24 AM by Airflyte »
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline BLMonopole

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
I still love "the thrill of the hunt" in finding older and interesting clarinets, but I an a recovering addict to this affliction. 

Thus, I have been absent from this forum as of late because (1) my new job has taken up a significant portion of my free time, and (2) the free time that I do have I'm dedicating to actually practicing the instruments that I own to improve on them.

I also find that when you play the instruments you collect, it is easier to let them go -- when they don't "mix well" with others instruments, or whole areas of the instrument are just grossly out of tune.  They quickly go from being instruments to being "museum pieces", and I really have no time or space in my life for those museum pieces. 

So, in sum, my confession is:  I love the instruments, but I love the music more so I'm focusing there. 

Offline windydankoff

• Into the Black Hole
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 09:03:48 AM »
Im a hacker. Around age 10 I taped cardboard tubes to the end of my clarinet to see how low it could go. I have important things to do now, but no matter .... If I have a horn to hack, life can wait. Occasionally I set my projects aside and practice my music. Occasionally.

Alright, now I really confess Im 2 years behind in writing my book on solar power for water supply. There are thirsty people under the sun. Nero fiddled while Rome burned. My name is Windy. I have a clarinet problem.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:33:15 PM by windydankoff »
Windy / BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C & G CLARINETS refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages

Offline LarryS

• Eternal beginner
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
My confession is I have tons of different instruments, and want more, but I have never learned to play any of them properly! I have been teaching myself piano since I got one, in 2014! I might get round to learning to play it one day...
I have IAS. Instrument Acquisition Syndrome!
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline noneyet

• Learning. Always learning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »

The real confession here is that I was never that good at any of the clarinets I played.

I'm confessing the same thing. I have all kinds of clarinets and saxes but have made my living off guitar and voice for 30 years. The next album however has a song that begins with a classical guitar introduction but where the vocal begins it will be backed by

....wait for it...

a clarinet sextet!
(Eb sopranino, Bb soprano, A soprano, Eb alto, Bb bass, and Eb contra-alto. I plan on playing them all. I made sure the parts have a LOT of half and whole notes  ;D )

And if I should happen upon a contrabass, well, I'll rearrange it as a septet, I guess  ???
Hoarding clarinets since 2016 it's Stu Weaver only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
I'm pretty proud of the fact that I have one of each clarinet (except the weird/expensive ones.

The ones I would put in the septet:

1915 wood Eb (unknown brand)
McIntyre Bb
One-piece, plateau Buffet A
Metal Kohlert and Sons Eb alto
Extended bell Moennig Bros Bb bass
Bundy Eb contra alto
Vito Bb contra bass

now how many of these have I even laid lips on in the last year?

zero...

Offline noneyet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 08:33:31 PM »

now how many of these have I even laid lips on in the last year?

zero...

You and I are WAY too much alike...lol

Offline noneyet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 05:35:28 AM »

The ones I would put in the septet:

1915 wood Eb (unknown brand)
McIntyre Bb
One-piece, plateau Buffet A
Metal Kohlert and Sons Eb alto
Extended bell Moennig Bros Bb bass
Bundy Eb contra alto
Vito Bb contra bass

My sextet list is (at the moment) :

circa 1910 Fernand Chapelain & Cie Eb Sopranino
Noblet Stubbins Bb Soprano
circa 1920 T. Bertelling A Soprano
1960s King Eb Alto
1960s Leblanc Bass
1980s Vito Contra Alto

I might be persuaded to change which alto, but the Stubbins Bb has better tone to my ear than the McIntyres. Perhaps after trying different mouthpieces my mind could change.

Offline BLMonopole

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 07:03:50 AM »
   Buffet R13 Bb clarinet (1962)
   Buffet R13 A clarinet  (ca. 1980)
   Forte C clarinet
   Selmer Series 9 Eb Alto Clarinet (1962)
   Selmer Paris Basset Horn (1967)
   Selmer Paris Bb Bass Clarinet (1970)
   Kessler Custom Low C Bass Clarinet - 2nd Generation
   Selmer Paris Rosewood contra alto clarinet (1958)

My octet....(and also part of my retirement plan).  These horns are all great players, and it's much fun to play them in various groups frequently -- which I plan to do for a long while.  Still, I'll be able to sell most of them for at least what I've paid for them in the future should I find that I no longer take joy in playing or owning them.  (e.g., I cleared out of Eb soprano clarinets last year having enjoyed playing them, but realizing that my fat fingers aren't well suited to tiny horns)

Offline johant

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 02:50:08 AM »
I have several clarinets and saxophones, but I am a single instrumentalist; I can either maintain my clarinet skills well enough, or my saxophone skills, but not both.
Wo why I keep several excellent Martins around while a Bundy would be good enough for me? I don't want to ask myself that question  :P
Proud member of the Buffet Mafia ;-)

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
Im a hacker. Around age 10 I taped cardboard tubes to the end of my clarinet to see how low it could go.

Windy, have you heard of Moon Hooch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I14TK0ylDo
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 11:20:22 AM »
Im a hacker. Around age 10 I taped cardboard tubes to the end of my clarinet to see how low it could go.

Windy, have you heard of Moon Hooch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I14TK0ylDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8nRRwTnSbM

This guy uses PVC pipes to get his contrabassoon as low as reasonably possible.

Offline windydankoff

• Into the Black Hole
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
I confess ...  I watched (parts of) these bizarre videos!
Windy / BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C & G CLARINETS refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages