Author Topic: Confession Thread.  (Read 212 times)

Offline shmuelyosef

• View Profile
Re: Confession Thread.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
Maybe this will be cathartic...I'm a musicaholic

I started out on piano in the '50s, and to this day remain a pianist...it's the one instrument that I'm truly comfortable on. I studied classically with a Russian immigrant concert pianist (in the Detroit area where I lived), which set me on a good path and have played recitals, rock & blues, and both solo and piano trio jazz gigs regularly.

In primary school-->High school I played brass instruments...studied at school and with locals and specialized in French horn. In college, I played in the symphony and also joined the union and played in pit orchestras in Boston as I was self-funding my education...the French horn routinely was my 'ticket' to good musical slots at union wages (I augmented this with doing shifts cooking in diners and restaurants in the "Back Bay")...but I diverge...after school, I was homeless for a while and ended up selling all my horns (trumpet, flugel, mellophone, French horn) for needed cash.

Now for the confession:
- I moved to California in the mid-70s and got back on my feet, learned to play guitar (cause I was a hippie and it was cool). I quit playing guitar about 20 years ago but still own: Martin 000-28, Gibson LG (cedar topped), Gibson ES-175 (Howard Roberts special), highly modified Yamaha bass guitar

- About the time I quit guitar, my kids were having fun playing woodwinds (clarinet, flute, sax) and so I scored an alto saxophone (Vito 72xx) and taught myself to play, this led to my worst addiction yet collecting musical instruments. Not counting Irish whistles and flutes, I have collected:
(1st number is current; 2nd number is the total that I have bought...difference is instruments I sold)
Soprano saxes (1 ; 5)
Alto saxes (3 ; 10)
Tenor saxes (3 ; 14)
Baritone saxes (2 ; 7)
Clarinets (10 ; 17)
Bass Clarinet (1 ; 1)
Flute (2 ; 6)
Alto Flute (1 ; 1)

In addition, I have my "pride and joy" 1912 fully restored Mason-Hamlin Model A piano and 5 other electronic keyboards from Nord, Privia, Roland, Sequential

I have a full drum kit, a Roland V-drum kit, and a large collection of hand percussion
...and last but not least, I still have the accordion that I bought to play at Jewish gatherings as a young teen

To answer the common question...I play the sax well enough to hold down seats in local gigging big bands. Currently fulltime in a baritone sax seat, but have also played in the alto and tenor positions. I feel competent to play lead sax in a combo or in a rock and blues band, and do this regularly.

Since I retired about 5 years ago, have been working on the 'other' woodwinds...I play clarinet, bass clarinet and flute well enough to cover 'doubles', but wouldn't lead with any of them, although I have recently been playing clarinet in some folk pickup situations (bluegrass, choro, klezmer)

Most musicians that I know (except the really 'full of themselves' types) feel completely inadequate on their axes, although many of them play professionally at a high level. This forced 'striving' is what makes their performances compelling!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:57:58 AM by shmuelyosef »
Clarinet: Selmer Centered Tone (1 ea 6-ring and 7-ring), Selmer Series 9, Yamaha Custom CS 853, Leblanc Vito V40, B&H 1-10, Leblanc VSP, plus the middle school for sale list (all fully overhauled)
BC: Yamaha 221mkii
Piano: Mason & Hamlin Model A, Fender Rhodes Stage 73 Mk I, Nord Electro
Many saxes

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
I confess ...  I watched (parts of) these bizarre videos!
I actually went to see Moon Hooch play a few weeks ago, really interesting stuff. Loved it.

Also, I confess that I completely surprised my conductor last night. It was the first rehearsal of the quarter so we were getting a new set of music to play. He mentioned to us that if anybody in the group knew someone that plays Eb or alto clarinet, it'd really be nice to have them. Then I just casually pull out my alto clarinet that I got before the quarter (I was playing tenor sax at the time) and the reaction on his face was priceless!
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
It's funny how uncommon Eb soprano and Eb alto clarinets are. When I was in middle and high school, most people, even the clarinetists, didn't believe me when I said that an alto clarinet existed.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
Maybe this will be cathartic...I'm a musicaholic

In addition, I have my "pride and joy" 1912 fully restored Mason-Hamlin Model A piano and 5 other electronic keyboards from Nord, Privia, Roland, Sequential

Wow, you are a musicaholic! Have you been paying attention to the new keyboards lately?  Casio just may have Yamaha scrambling for something new and Dexibell makes me want to sell all my saxes  :o
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages