Author Topic: Bass clarinet tuning issues  (Read 42 times)

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
Bass clarinet tuning issues
« on: January 22, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »
I have a Bundy bass clarinet that Id like to use but it has some tuning issues. With the mouthpiece and neck pushed all the way in, it plays nearly a quarter tone sharp. To get it in tune, I have to pull the neck out until it reaches the point where air would begin to leak out the slit in the body left for tightening the neck in and I have to pull the mouthpiece out a few mm. The instrument is in tune with itself so I think it might be because the neck is too short. Would getting a new neck resolve this issue? If it can, how can I find a better neck (length, fit, etc)?
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: Bass clarinet tuning issues
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
If you have the correct Bundy neck, don't bother with replacement. Just start at the very first thing in the equation, the reed. I bet most if not all intonation problems can eliminated with the correct reed/MP combo.

It sounds like you may be playing on too hard a of reed for your chops and or mouthpiece. Most players will unintentionally "bite" down on the reed to get a nice tone at the cost of raising the intended pitch.

I would start with 1.5's and go from there
https://www.amazon.com/Rico-Clarinet-Reeds-Strength-3-pack/dp/B001RUJXH8

"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Bass clarinet tuning issues
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
I agree! Since the instrument is in tune with itself, it's a relatively easy solution.

A replacement neck is expensive and difficult to find. They also don't really make different length necks in the same way that they make different length soprano clarinet barrels.

It might be worth it to go to your local music shop and test out a handful of mouthpieces with several reeds of different hardness, to see if you can narrow it down to something specific.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages