Author Topic: EBONITE McIntyre  (Read 130 times)

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: EBONITE McIntyre
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
Mine is now fully restored thanks to the Vintage Clarinet Doctor. And he actually stills speaks to me, but it was touch and go for a while!

Jeremy is a great instrument technician and seems to find some very interesting "horns" to refurbish.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline noneyet

• Learning. Always learning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 06:41:17 AM »
These are the two cases for my McIntyres. One seems identical in structure to the case Windsong posted, albeit in a different color. Unless someone comes up with an original sales brochure featuruing the cases they originally came with I guess we'll never really know if mine are original either  :-\
Hoarding clarinets since 2016 it's Stu Weaver only on The Clarinet Pages. :)

Offline Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 05:12:08 AM »
Okay.  Three McIntyre clarinets. Three almost completely different cases.
All three may be original to our horns, but I have had Green and White cases in the past, quite like those you post and from the same overall time-period; one for a 1961(ish) Resonite Normandy and the other for a hard rubber 1957-1959 Boosey & Hawkes Edgeware.

At this point, I believe they sourced cases from whomever, and did not stick with one design, or even one manufacturer. 
Thanks for sharing the pic.
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and expert bubblegum welder.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
That certainly makes sense.

From what I understand, the McIntyre bros weren't in the best financial straits especially after the first year, and probably just went for the cheapest option possible. I'd imagine they just bought excess overstock from whoever would sell to them and did it that way.

It seems they went out of business fairly suddenly, as one of my McIntyres appears to never have been fully completed from the factory - the upper joint shows no signs of any keys having ever been attached to it.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages