Author Topic: Is this a Vito 7214?  (Read 100 times)

Offline MikeyJoe

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Is this a Vito 7214?
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:43:06 PM »
Hello,
A friend has asked me to sell her old Clarinet for her and unfortunately I know even less about what model it is than she does.

I searched on Google and found an old post on this site which makes me think that it is a LeBlanc Vito 7214.
That post included a link to a photo of a 7214 and while I think it looks like the clarinet in question I am still not sure.

(https://www.bandinstrumentsguide.com/leblanc-vito-clarinet-7214-review/)

The previous post mentioned that a 7214 has a metal ring on the bell and so does the one I am trying to identify.

I have included three photos but if any additional images are needed to make an identification I will happily take more.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
Re: Is this a Vito 7214?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
Without seeing the serial number itís hard to tell for sure. The 7214 was marked as such right below the serial number. If it is not marked, it is most likely the 7114 and from the first set of serial numbers in the official list.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.  clarinetpages.info  clarinetpages.net

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »
They all sort of look the same to be honest.

So just like mechanic said, it's generally only a 7214 if it's marked as such.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
"Pre-owned" (unrestored) Vitos with no damage usually sell for $35-$50.

V-40's seem to sell for a bit more.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline MikeyJoe

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
Hello again,
Thank you for the information. I had taken a photo of the serial number before I posted but I could only upload four and I thought the others would be more useful in the identification.

I have added the photo of the serial number which I believe is "D35465".

If someone has access to the list of serial numbers and they could check it I would appreciate it.
Or if it is easier to provide a link for the numbers I would be happy to check myself.

Again, thanks for the help!

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
A pretty comprehensive listing of serial numbers for a lot of manufacturers can be found here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1149/0916/files/Serial_Number_Dating.pdf

Your Vito should be a 1983.  Airflyte is correct concerning the price.  There is the occasional exception that shows up, but not too often.  Restored to playable condition with all new pads you might double that.

For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.  clarinetpages.info  clarinetpages.net

Offline MikeyJoe

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »
Thank you for the link to the list. I checked it and if I am interpreting it correctly, it confirms what you said about it being made in 1983. That is more than I knew before but it didn't clear up the model mystery.

As I have said before, I know very little about clarinets. I played the French Horn for a couple of years a very, very long time ago and that is the extent of my dabbling in music.

The friend who I will sell the clarinet for mostly just wants to see it go to someone who will play it and enjoy it as she did so maximizing the selling price isn't a big issue but if changing the pads and restoring it isn't a major expense it would certainly make it more appealing to someone looking for a beginner instrument for their son or daughter.

Is restoring it an expensive process? Can it typically be performed by a local instrument shop or does it require the services of an "expert"?

Again, thanks for your help!!

Offline shmuelyosef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
I was under the impression that the 7214 clarinets all had the sculpted trill keys. All the ones that I have ever seen with the '7214' inscription have had that. The 7212s persisted with the old-style trill keys.
Clarinet: Selmer Centered Tone (1 ea 6-ring and 7-ring), Selmer Series 9, Yamaha Custom CS 853, Leblanc Vito V40, B&H 1-10, Leblanc VSP, plus the middle school for sale list (all fully overhauled)
BC: Yamaha 221mkii
Piano: Mason & Hamlin Model A, Fender Rhodes Stage 73 Mk I, Nord Electro
Many saxes

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 08:13:29 PM »
MikeyJoe, yours is a 7114.  You would have to check with your local shop to see if they work on clarinets and what they would charge.  My sons first Vito was older than yours, had synthetic pads and played great for a couple of years before we needed to work on it. Yours might not need a total refurb.

On page 4 of the Official ClarinetPages Vito Reso-Tone Thread, 350 Rocket explains the model numbering.  http://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php/topic,1215.45.html

Shmuelyosef, if only it were so easy.  A quick search on eBay comes up with this one, a 7214 (even shows the serial and model) with the old-style straight trill keys. 
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vito-Model-7214-Clarinet-w-Hard-Case-and-an-extra-B-Portnoy-BP02-Mouthpiece/143109791563?hash=item2152021f4b:g:n7oAAOSwFURcAeKO

Airflyte said it best in the very first post of the official vito thread, "researching these Vitos is an adventure that raises some questions!"