Author Topic: Selmer Bass Clarinet info  (Read 32 times)

Offline Kmcfarlan

• View Profile
Selmer Bass Clarinet info
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
I am considering a used Selmer Paris Bass Clarinet to replace my Conn 425N.  It is marked as a model 32 with the serial number of Q600.  I could only find Q1100 and higher on the serial number lists with a manufacture dates starting in 1955.  What was different about the 32 and the later 33?  What might be the manufacture dates for the Serial # Q600?  Thanks for any info you can share.

Offline BLMonopole

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Selmer Bass Clarinet info
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
Well, theoretically, Q600 would have been built before Q1100....sound I'm going to say your horn was probably built in 1954-55.  It's not clear when they would have switched from P series to Q series, but your horn would have been built in there somewhere.  Theoretically.

And, this dating is consistent with the model number you're referencing (which is the same model as the "Series 9" basses, and this model ran for a very long time...over 20 years).  I have a 1970s Selmer Paris bass myself, which is newer than yours, but still a model 30.  The model numbers aren't marked on the instruments, so that makes things more complicated.  Here's what I remember:

Model 30 (no articulated G# or LH Ab lever)
Model 32 (with the above keys)
Model 33 (with the above and low C)

Hope that helps.  In the end, you have to play the horn and see if it works for you. 

Offline Kmcfarlan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
Thanks, that does help clear up models.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:14:35 PM »
I'm really not too familiar with Selmer Paris bass clarinets. However, I have restored a Series 9 bass once, and it was SUPERB. Absolutely the best bass I've ever played (and I've played A LOT).

Selmer has some excellent quality. I also played a rosewood contra alto for a concert and I feel like if I was rich enough I would pay the $25k for that instrument.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages