Author Topic: Clarinet mom  (Read 38 times)

Offline Sharpi

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Clarinet mom
« on: March 14, 2019, 03:00:33 PM »
I picked up an old German made Evette that needed basic repair. Because itís a spare, I decided to try my hand at fixing it myself since itís not worth what it would cost to repair it. Iím a metalsmith and I like to fix things. I didnít do a bad job at all. The top joint definitely works, all pads air tight. The bottom joint, one pad is giving me trouble. It doesnít seem right, maybe a new spring? The main question I have is why does the barrel not sit on the top joint? This is a plastic model and my other two clarinets fit firmly. Itís not a cork issue, the barrel just does not go all way down, leaving about 1/4 inch gap between the barrel and the top joint. Is this normal? Is there a tuning ring thatís supposed to go there? This is an old student model plastic Evette.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:02:13 PM by Sharpi »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Clarinet mom
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »
It could be a non original barrel that is not cut to the same dimensions. Some clarinets have a longer or shorter tenon, with the barrel being cut to fit those exact dimensions.

A barrel meant for a shorter tenon will have a shallower fit, thereby leaving a gap between that and the joint.

This usually isnít a big problem, as ling as that extra length is taken into account when tuning.

Good job on fixing it yourself! You just saved yourself a bunch of money
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages