Author Topic: Is there any reason for a saxonette to exist?  (Read 64 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Is there any reason for a saxonette to exist?
« on: March 30, 2019, 08:31:17 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Linton-Paris-France-Clarinet-Rare-Very-Nice-SAXONETTE/113702054759?hash=item1a792bab67:g:X6YAAOSwVNNcO-LY

As far as I can tell, the saxonette is nothing more than a standard Bb soprano clarinet with a curvy metal barrel and a curvy metal bell.

There doesn't seem to be any functional reason for this thing to exist. There may be a small argument that the upturned bell helps "project" the sound, but if you REALLY need that much extra projection then you can just play a bit louder for all the good the bell will do for you.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline shmuelyosef

• View Profile
Re: Is there any reason for a saxonette to exist?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
It's 'cute'. Might be better for recording with a microphone...clarinets are notoriously bad for this...like a curved soprano sax
Clarinet: Selmer Centered Tone (1 ea 6-ring and 7-ring), Selmer Series 9, Yamaha Custom CS 853, Leblanc Vito V40, B&H 1-10, Leblanc VSP, plus the middle school for sale list (all fully overhauled)
BC: Yamaha 221mkii
Piano: Mason & Hamlin Model A, Fender Rhodes Stage 73 Mk I, Nord Electro
Many saxes

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »
Heck, for $900 I'll leave the cute factor at home and get a better quality clarinet :D

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
I'd like to have a saxonette just because it's different and I'd probably use it to mess with my sax friends. Since I have a dent knowledge of 3d modeling and have a 3d printer I could probably make the parts to convert one of my clarinets to a saxonette in the future.

As for sound projection, while a decent amount of sound comes out the bell of a clarinet or saxophone, some sound also comes out of the open holes so I would think it would only really help with projecting forward on long fingered notes.
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
I'd like to have a saxonette just because it's different and I'd probably use it to mess with my sax friends. Since I have a dent knowledge of 3d modeling and have a 3d printer I could probably make the parts to convert one of my clarinets to a saxonette in the future.

As for sound projection, while a decent amount of sound comes out the bell of a clarinet or saxophone, some sound also comes out of the open holes so I would think it would only really help with projecting forward on long fingered notes.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think the bell makes a noticeable difference for all but the most exacting studio recordings. Some clarinets, such as the Buffet Prodige have a "stippled interior bell texture" which is, in my opinion, just marketing malarky.

Unless the only notes you play the lowest chalumeau notes, then the bell is just there to lengthen the instrument and balance it out.

Offline windydankoff

• Into the Black Hole
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
Bell effects the low clarion notes as well, and helps reduce the change of tone over the break.
Windy / BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C & G CLARINETS refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages