Author Topic: HELP - Metal Alto Pedler Clarinet - I know nothing  (Read 86 times)

Offline TxTriplet3

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
HELP - Metal Alto Pedler Clarinet - I know nothing
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »
I recently bought this metal alto clarinet at an antique Collectibles type store. I know nothing about instruments but thought my daughter might like it. Can anyone tell me more about it and if I should let my 13 yr old daughter take it to school? Art Deco on the bell, Pedler on the first line, Custom Built on the second, Elkhart, IND on the third and the serial number is 22558.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: HELP - Metal Alto Pedler Clarinet - I know nothing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:36:31 PM »
The Custombuilt line was, I believe, near the top-of-the-line for Pedler at the time.

In general, all-metal alto clarinets are VERY rare, so that's great! I own a metal Kohlert myself and it's pretty sweet.

If your daughter is in the 8th grade then I would be surprised if the band had any music even written for the alto. Alto clarinets not commonly played at all, and it is pretty hard to find one in anything but a very high-end symphony. When I was in middle school I asked to play alto; the director said the school did not own an alto to rent. Even if I obtained one myself, he said that their music library simply didn't have alto clarinet parts in general.

I played in the college band at UCLA and in 5 years never saw anybody else with an alto clarinet. Except for one time, in an off-shoot music group where the director specialized in composing for unusual instruments.

If the middle school band director has sheet music written for alto clarinet, then by all means. These are worth quite a bit restored, up to $1,000, so it's your judgment call on whether or not you want your daughter to be banging around on a potentially valuable instrument.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline TxTriplet3

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:20:45 AM »
Thanks for the info! I happen to be a chaperone on a band trip right now so I asked the band director about music for the Alto and he said that we do have some (it is older music but we have it!).
Either way it is probably the best $40 I have spent!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 11:24:57 AM »
For $40 you did WELL. Like I said, these can be worth big money to the right buyer. Either way you cut it, you'll be making an absolutely absurd amount should you decide to sell at some point.

I don't know how you managed to get an alto for $40. Even a busted up, completely trashed one sells for no less than $200 on eBay.
The cheapest alto I ever got was (also a metal one) $75 or $80 and it needed a lot of work.

Offline TxTriplet3

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
I dug it out of a dusty corner in the resale/antique/collectable store. The tag read bass clarinet and it had clearly been there for awhile. I guess they knew as much as I did. The band teacher told my daughter it was an alto not a bass. I bought a Selmer from a garage sale for $10. When I get home I'll be taking pictures of it to see what it is worth.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
You bought a Selmer for $10? Is it bass, alto, or soprano?

If it's a Henri Selmer Paris it's worth BIG money.

If it's a plastic Selmer USA, and is an alto or bass, it's also worth BIG.

How do you find these deals? I've never in my life found anything good at any antique store or garage sale, and it's not for the lack of trying.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 12:36:56 PM »
That looks a nice find!
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
Clarinet Pages are go!