Author Topic: Wood Basset Horn Barrel/Neck  (Read 23 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Wood Basset Horn Barrel/Neck
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 04:43:13 AM »
There's this too:

https://paraschos.com/products/curved-clarinet-barrel

They also do saxophone and bassoon crooks which are even more remarkable as a fabrication challenge.

I got a resin 3d printer recently and just last weekend I made myself a curved clarinet barrel.  It has a 20 degree arc the centre of which is the same length as the original barrel and tapers the same as the original.  According to Nederveen that isn't quite the right way to calculate it but his maths is beyond me and that's how instrument makers have doing it for centuries.

Tuning wise it seems to play identically to the original throughout the range within my ability to hit a note the same twice.  These LCD resin printers are way better than the FDM (melty plastic) machines.  There is a slight roughness to the bore but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.  The resolution is 0.05mm (0.002") in x and y and 0.025mm (0.001") in z.  Roughly equivalent to sanding to about 400 grit I guess.  Wood grain is probably just as bad unless it is highly polished and that doesn't last long inside the bore.

I made the outside octagonal in the middle, gradually morphing to circular at the ends.  I'm not sure I like the appearance.  I just did it because I'm new to CAD and I have try everything.

A curved bell is next on the agenda.  It will probably have to be 2 pieces glued together because the build area is quite small on these machines.

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Wood Basset Horn Barrel/Neck
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 04:53:04 AM »
I've just realised that the seller is the same guy that's fixing up the Boehm G clarinet in Windy's thread.