Author Topic: Screw for Mazzeo Clarinet Mechanism  (Read 76 times)

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
Screw for Mazzeo Clarinet Mechanism
« on: May 04, 2019, 07:09:00 PM »
In my quest to collect clarinets, I recently picked up a Mazzeo system clarinet for $50 (plastic body so Iím assuming itís a Bundy). While it could benefit from some work, it plays fine for what I plan to use if for (still much better than my $30 metal clarinet)

However there seems to be a slight issue. As of right now the Mazzeo mechanisms do not work for throat Bb (A key plus any combination of LH 2 and RH 123). Doing a bit of inspection, it looks like the part to push on the mechanism to open the side Bb key is missing its screw. The pin is there (seems to be captive) but the screw to make it protrude outward isnít.

Just to get an idea of size, I tried a pivot screw from the clarinet whose threads were too small and a 4-49 screw I had which was too big.

Any suggestions?

Picture of mechanism and hole where I think the screw should be: http://i65.tinypic.com/2eplyt1.jpg
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
Re: Screw for Mazzeo Clarinet Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 08:21:12 PM »
Everything I have been able to find on the Selmer USA and Bundy Mazzeo clarinets indicates that these models did not have the adjustable Mazzeo mechanism.  I recently came across a Signet Special Mazzeo Model in a pawn shop and it had a captive plastic nub in the mechanism.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
It has the captive pin and the cylinder that extends outward is threaded so Iím pretty sure there was a screw at one point. I looked at some pics online of Mazzeos and it looked like thereís supposed to be a screw.

Maybe I could try out an adjustment screw from another clarinet.
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
There is, in fact a screw, although it's not necessarily an adjustment mechanism.

Rather, the screw can be tightened or loosened to allow the Mazzeo mechanism to be actuated either sooner or later with a key press.

With no screw at all, the Mazzeo mechanism should not work at all.

I too have one missing a screw. I feel like you could use just about anything to fill in the gap; as long as the key press pushes the mechanism lever, any sort of screw, nub, or gap-filling thing would do the trick.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
Yeah thatís what I was thinking too, thanks for input

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »
I had the chance to stop by that pawn shop again today, and took a few pictures of the Signet Special Mazzeo.  My question now is: how many variations did Selmer make?  This one does not have the same key work as the one pictured by Jordan.1210 and I assume is different from Dave's.  Close inspection of the key and rod tube doesn't show any sign of there ever being the actuator adjustment piece on it.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:40:36 PM »
From my time browsing online, mostly auction sites, I've only found two types of the Mazzeo system, the one I have and the one you have pictured. Although if you search Mazzeo clarinet on google, some really weird (yet interesting) mechanisms pop up

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
As far as brand names go, I believe Selmer produced the following:
Plastic Bundy (stamped with Bundy logo)
Plastic Bundy (no logo, possibly a sticker that never seems to survive)
Selmer Signet (100 and Special)
Selmer Paris (unmarked model)
Selmer Paris Centered Tone

Basically, Selmer put the Mazzeo on pretty much every segment of their line. In fact, it was even put on Selmer Paris Eb clarinets too.

The most common mechanism seems to be the one in the attached picture.
Mechanic's picture shows the version with a swoopy metal thing over the pad cup. The other type was the one with a nondescript nub-thing.

The nub-thing seems to be the most common style, as it appears on everything from the Bundy to the Centered Tone.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »
It appears that the Mazzeo was similar to the Stubbins, as their respective companies put it on pretty much every model in their lineup.

For example, the Stubbins was placed on:
Plastic Vito
Plastic Normandy
Wood Normandy
Wood Noblet
LeBlanc pro models
LeBlanc alto clarinet