Author Topic: I'm stumped - Albert system Eb -German?  (Read 50 times)

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
I'm stumped - Albert system Eb -German?
« on: May 11, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
I have here an albert system Eb.   There is a severely beat up logo pictured below, but I can't figure out what it depicts or who made it.  Below the logo is SCHUTMARKE or SCHUT MARKE.  Basically translates from German as trademark. Logo is on the upper and lower joints, nothing on the barrel or bell and no name, serial number or any other markings.

I've tried 3 different cameras and multiple lighting variations and if the angle is a little different or the lighting a little harsher, you'd be hard pressed to tell they were pictures of the same logo.

It came with a wooden mouthpiece that is ringed for a string ligature.

I'm assuming German manufacture, but that's as far as I can get.  Any ideas??
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:59:41 AM by mechanic »
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.  clarinetpages.info  clarinetpages.net

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: I'm stumped
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 06:09:49 PM »
Boy thatís tough. I *think* that the image might be an eagle facing right. Penzel has an eagle too. Connection??

Iíll post this on Reddit and see if anybody there knows
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
Re: I'm stumped - Albert system Eb -German?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »
Here are some pictures of the key work that may help in identification or possibly dating.  It needs a serious cleaning, but surprisingly the pads seal and it is playable.

After days of consulting the almighty google and coming up empty, it produced a link to another person questioning a similar clarinet.  Theirs had "Sonora" below the SHUTZMARKE with an eagle-like emblem above, and the best guess was a "GDR state owned manufacturer in Markneukirchen" succeeded by Moennig-Adler.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum, where knowledge is freely shared.  clarinetpages.info  clarinetpages.net

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »
Great sleuthing work!

Sometimes answers are easily arrived upon - sometimes not!

I had an oboe with a transfer stamp hallmark logo, and all that was left of it was two letters:
first line L
second line K

I posted on r/oboes on reddit and within a few hours someone said "that could be a Benwal New York."

Amazing what crowd sourced knowledge can produce!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 06:12:22 AM »
If you want more information your best bet might be the forum of the Markneukirchen musical instrument museum.  It's German language of course.

http://www.museum-markneukirchen.de/forum/