Author Topic: Bundy's from the late 60s  (Read 124 times)

Offline clarinettist

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Bundy's from the late 60s
« on: July 31, 2019, 06:31:01 PM »
Hello
I have heard many people sing the praises of Bundy's from the 70s and 80s. Are the Bundy's from the late 60s much different? I'm asking specifically about their plastic student clarinet from the 60s. I've found one that I'm considering purchasing and overhauling one for my daughter. 
Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Bundy's from the late 60s
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 11:35:05 PM »
I donít think that they are necessarily praise worthy, but they are certainly better than one would expect from a studentís level plastic instrument.

Build quality was good back then, and I think the quality control was better too. Itís no R13 but they are certainly surprisingly good for what they are
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
From what I've seen, the keywork was stiffer and better-made on earlier models, but I'm not entirely certain where the cutoff was - sometime in the 1960s.

That said, the plastic is probably a bit more brittle. Bundy sopranos above serial number 500000 (from 1969) had a longer warranty on them, which would ostensibly have correlated to a more advanced and durable material.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorô

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:45:03 PM »
From what I've seen, the keywork was stiffer and better-made on earlier models, but I'm not entirely certain where the cutoff was - sometime in the 1960s.

That said, the plastic is probably a bit more brittle. Bundy sopranos above serial number 500000 (from 1969) had a longer warranty on them, which would ostensibly have correlated to a more advanced and durable material.

That's pretty neat, I never knew about that warranty. It would only be logical that a better material warranted a better warranty. Neat!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages