Author Topic: Risking the biscuit with a Zero Feedback eBay buyer...  (Read 93 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Risking the biscuit with a Zero Feedback eBay buyer...
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »
I've had this nicely restored Buffet R13 for like 4 months with virtually no interest. It was burning a huge hole in my pocket and I just wanted it gone.

Along comes a brand new eBay buyer, with 0 feedback - generally a huge red flag.

She is ready to buy and puts in an offer for $1200. Low, but acceptable after so long with no interest.

Knowing full well that the odds were heavily against me, I went for the sale.

Lo and behold, The buyer paid in full immediately after I accepted the offer. Within a day of receipt, I receive a positive feedback.

Whew, dodged a bullet I did there.

The things I do for money... One time I was trying to sell a Selmer K series. I wanted $360; the guy literally only brought $300. SO I JUMPED IN HIS CAR AND GUIDED HIM TO THE NEAREST ATM.
Needless to say, I got my money, he got his clarinet, and I nearly wet my pants for fear of getting organ trafficked.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: Risking the biscuit with a Zero Feedback eBay buyer...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:19:41 PM »
Wow! 

I sold a vintage alto sax a few years ago on ebay. It was to a zero or low feedback buyer, I can't remember. Anyway, something told me to use "signature delivery" for this transaction. I'm glad I did because the buyer contacted me claiming that the sax was not received. That was funny, someone clearly signed for it and I had a name that did not match the buyer's name.

Ebay backed me up on this one so no problem there. 2 bucks well spent on the "signature required" option!
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Risking the biscuit with a Zero Feedback eBay buyer...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:24:48 AM »
Best $2 investment of your life! For anything over $300, I always pay extra for insurance and a signature. It's just not worth the risk.

Fortunately I've never been burned by a low feedback, but I have been scammed before.

Years ago, before everything came with tracking, I used to buy postage at the Post Office.

I sent a pair of shoes, that cost around $75, without tracking. The buyer claimed to have never received it, and I had no proof of tracking. I had a receipt that showed I sent it, but no tracking was included. So, I was scammed that time.

Another time was even worse: the SELLER scammed me. I bought a gold bracelet for $150 and wanted to return it. I neglected to get a drop-off receipt at the PO, and the seller claimed to have never received it.
I was out $150 and the seller got their bracelet back. That was pretty scummy.

Nowadays, I DEMAND a drop-off receipt to show proof.

Fortunately, everything includes tracking these days.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages