Author Topic: C. mahillon c clarinet  (Read 101 times)

Offline loridmcintyre

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
C. mahillon c clarinet
« on: October 07, 2019, 05:50:02 PM »
I have just purchased a C clarinet made by C. Mahillon and stamped "Medalle D'or Paris 1878".  I'm pretty positive that it was on exhibit at the World Exposition in Paris in 1878.  Can anybody direct me to information confirming this?

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: C. mahillon c clarinet
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
That maker or model might have won an award there, but I'm thinking that particular one likely wasn't there, unfortunately. How would they know to have the award engraved ahead of time on the one that won at the event, first of all? ;)
Many clarinets of the late 19th and early 20th century have awards lists/ locations stamped on them.  Jerome Thibouville Lamy loved to list their awards and associations (military, etc), Couesnon too I believe, among others.  Sounds like a cool, collectible instrument, though- reputable brand, rare key, etc...I'd like to see some pics, for sure and be proven wrong. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:45:56 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline loridmcintyre

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:12:28 PM »
Might the "award" have been engraved after the event?  It is printed in areas on the instrument that would have been accessible.  I will post pics when I can take clear ones.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 06:32:26 PM »
Interesting thought. I somewhat doubt that any individual clarinet that was actually exhibited would be in general circulation; the makers probably kept them in their archives and are now probably in musuems.

That being said, stranger things have happened.

What do the medals look like? Lots of old Kohlert oboes have this logo with several medals on it.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages