Author Topic: Clarinet Identification. R13...  (Read 72 times)

Offline LTrope

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Clarinet Identification. R13...
« on: October 22, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »
Hi! I have been searching the internet to find any information on a beautiful clarinet that was given to me by a friend of a friend when I was a child...I looked on the MIMO international website etc...

I know it is a Buffet & Cie serial number 180112 . Any information you may know about this clarinet would be greatly appreciated. :) With file limits for attachments, this website will not allow me to post the photos I took (and not sure if there is a way to switch formats). I am happy to email photos over.

Thanks,
Lisa

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Clarinet Identification. R13...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:17 PM »
Try using my handy Buffet Identification Guide:
http://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php/topic,1676.msg12473.html#msg12473

IF it's an R13, SN 180112 is 1977 or 1978. This is an excellent year for the R13 and should be worth quite a bit in restored condition.

If it's NOT an R13, then value will decline considerably, depending on what it actually is. Feel free to email pictures to daveleblanc@clarinetpages.net
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline LTrope

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 09:26:05 AM »
Thank you SO much, Dave! :D From your description, I believe, it is an R13, but I am still not sure....I will send you pictures.

Thank you!
Lisa

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
For forum reference:

This is most certainly an R13. However, the serial number puts this at 1977, but the case puts this at 1975.

In 1975, Buffet released the R13 Anniversary Edition to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the company. These were usually stamped "Model de 150th Anniversaire." In addition, the case had the 150th Anniversary medallion. (It's functionally identical to a standard R13, was just a special trim level)

Your clarinet is a bit too late to fit into that timeframe, as the 1975 serial numbers are 153xxx-163xxx. However, I did some research and apparently Buffet made more cases than clarinets so there are some number of standard R13 clarinets living inside 150th Anniversary cases .
Your clarinet has two possibilities - either it came from the factory in a surplus 150th case, or the case is a replacement for an originally damaged one. I would tend towards it coming from the factory with the case.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »