Author Topic: Help!Holton clarinet no serial number  (Read 66 times)

Offline Era.photo1

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Help!Holton clarinet no serial number
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »
I purchased a holton clarinete at a garage sale. It has no serial number or model number. It does have the holton logo, " collegigate and elkhorn wis on the bell.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:41:08 PM by Era.photo1 »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Help!Holton clarinet no serial number
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
I'm getting Vito vibes from the trill keys. Looks like a mid-1980s hard plastic case.

All things considered, it should be a pretty great player, at least for beginning levels or as a practice clarinet.

Vito products are VERY good quality and practically bulletproof. Kept nice, these will outlive pretty much anyone.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
Does the upper joint also have the Holton Collegiate name on it? Holton-branded Vitos of this era had distinctive tenon rings as you can see on the bell, but since the lower joint doesn't have that there's obviously some level of mis-matched components.

That style of trademark was used on those beginning in 1965 or 1966. Not a lot of them were made, but I don't know if that was due to a short production run or just low sales. Holton clarinets were out of production for at least several years before being re-introduced in 1977 without the "Collegiate" name.

The model number for the '60s model is CL-630 (or CL-633 for the lower-priced one with offset trill keys).
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorô

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:11:10 AM »
Nice find!
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
Clarinet Pages are go!