Author Topic: Help Identify My Clarinet  (Read 41 times)

Offline rizky

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Help Identify My Clarinet
« on: December 15, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
Dear all Member,

I am rizky mahardhika from indonesia.
I have a wooden clarinet with Holton Elkhorn Wis, USA marked. In the case there is marking Ph Hakkert jr, schiakade 172 rotterdam.
The serial number writen 1322.
Can anyone help me identify this clarinet? what years it was made?
If i am not mistake in the holton serial number chart it is between 1905 or 1906. is this correct?
Please anyone with knowledge on this kindly help me to identify my clarinets.

Please contact me at my email rizky.mahardhika7279@gmail.com

Thank you.

Rizky Mahardhika

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Help Identify My Clarinet
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
Welcome to ClarinetPages! NO need to post on multiple forums - I have removed the duplicate posts.

I am relatively familiar with Holton but I have no idea on the Dutch (?) writing. It looks like it may be an old address label for the former owner: Hakkert Jr might be the owner's name, and 172 Rotterdam an address?
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
Re: Help Identify My Clarinet
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 07:58:35 PM »
Welcome.
According to the lists that I have been able to find, your serial number 1322 would fall into that 1905 1906 range.  There is one major problem with that, and that is that Frank Holton did not open his plant in Elkhorn Wisconsin until 1917 - 18.  Prior to that, his only plant was in Chicago Illinois. 

I can't be certain, but I think that the common serial number list we find is for brass instruments.

https://www.joodserfgoedrotterdam.nl/familie-hakkert/ is a quick history on PH Hakkert jr. If this is to be believed, he pretty much established the music trade in Rotterdam.  The Music store moved around Rotterdam quite a bit, so if you could figure out when they were at Schiakade 172, you could narrow down the date of your clarinet.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages