Author Topic: Conn 446N and 444N lengths and barrel question  (Read 78 times)

Offline MKilpatrick

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Conn 446N and 444N lengths and barrel question
« on: January 20, 2020, 02:29:07 PM »
Hello all,  I have a Conn 446N vintage clarinet which I play occasionally (baritone saxophone is my main instrument).

I also have a Conn 444N clarinet which our 13-year old is now using rather than the plastic Buffet we bought him two years ago.

However, I have several Conn and other barrels and by stupid mistake I am no longer sure which is the one that came originally with the 446N instrument although I'm reasonably confident (?) I didn't mix up the 444N barrel.

What I would like to know please, from someone who owns either a Conn 444N or 446N or both, is what exactly is the barrel length? And what is the total length of the instrument with the barrel but without mouthpiece?

It is odd that the 444N looks exactly the same length as the Buffet but the 446N is shorter - both the instrument is shorter by a couple of mm and the barrel is also shorter by 3mm or so.

I would dearly like to know what the original barrel lengths are! And why the 446N is a different length from the 444N.

I've also observed that various makes of clarinet mouthpiece differ in length by a small amount. Should I be careful to use only original Conn mouthpieces to guarantee the best tuning (which isn't exactly brilliant with my not being a regular clarinetist)?

thanks,

Michael

Offline MKilpatrick

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Conn 446N and 444N lengths and barrel question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:11:41 PM »
Ooh. I've just noticed something after all this time. The top tenon joint (male) of the upper body into the barrel does *not* have a metal end ring to protect it, it's bare wood. I've looked online and seen this one for sale but missing the G# key: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132620650372 and the metal insert on the tenon is clearly visible. The missing projection of metal can also be making a more noticeable notch in the bore which might affect tuning?

Online DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Conn 446N and 444N lengths and barrel question
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 08:26:45 PM »
I don't think I can really speak to the barrel lengths.

However, re the metal tenon cap: your clarinet MAY or MAY NOT have originally had a tenon cap. They are not integral to the wood; in other words, they simply slide over top and are technically removable.

The extra metal is going to be extremely slight - probably 0.1mm or so, so I doubt it will make a noticeable difference.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages