Author Topic: reed care during session pauses  (Read 71 times)

Offline Bethany

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
reed care during session pauses
« on: April 02, 2020, 04:05:08 PM »
How long can the reed stay in the air (i.e. in the ligature), between songs, before it needs to be rehydrated?

To prevent the wet/dry/wet/dry cycle that can damage a reed, I store mine in the Reedjuvinate. This means they're always wet except during these breaks in a jam session or practice session. I'm sure it would depend on the humidity level of the room itself, but generally speaking after how many minutes would a reed need to be rehydrated to stay ready?

Offline TMHeimer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: reed care during session pauses
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 06:00:44 PM »
My reed process for decades doing concerts:

In between songs being a usual couple of minutes I do nothing. I may take the reed off, put it in my mouth briefly, and put the tip on the mouthpiece facing -- holding the tip down with thumb and gently "ticking it" with finger. Gets any possible warps out. Then wipe flat side dry (use sleeve?) and put back on.
I will more likely do this if a solo is upcoming, a hard piece is next, and especially before being a featured stand up soloist.  Otherwise I rarely do this.

If it is going to be a while-- ie. "halftime" at concert or break at rehearsal, I will put on the mouthpiece cap. I use a cap with NO holes in the top, so no air gets at the reed. If your cap has "pin holes" use glue or tape to fill in or cover them.  Reed will be good to go probably hours later if need be.
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on the book image then on PDF for samples)

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 04:47:36 AM »
Good reply, Tom!

Offline Bethany

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:55 AM »
Oh! I didn't know the cap could be helpful this way! Thanks so much for both tips.

I play different instruments so sometimes in a jam the clarinet is set aside for, say, three songs/twenty minutes.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Synthetic reeds bypass ALL these concerns. Some of us hate them, and some LOVE them. Some of us play ONLY on synthetic reeds ... like me (Fibracell). In Sabbath services, I alternate between 2 clarinets and flute, with long pauses between ... in New Mexico! where it's desert-dry and often air conditioned-dry. No matter. I just pick up and blow.

I don't want to hijack the topic of this thread, just to mention the option. You can search the topic here (search box in upper right) and find all sorts of debate. It may be worth a try!
Windy  ~  BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C CLARINETS & Pruefer Silver Throat
Refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages

Offline TMHeimer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »
Along with the mouthpiece cap idea, I also have 2-3 spare reeds by my chair just in case my good one konks out or I happen to scrape it on my sleeve, etc.  I keep them moist with my water bottle and they are in a plastic reed holder. Actually, I keep a whole spare clarinet under my chair in case of emergency (haven't used it yet), but that's off topic.
I love my Legere reed for practicing but that's mainly to save money--tried it at a rehearsal once and couldn't get it off fast enough. But, no problems ever with having to keep it moist....
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on the book image then on PDF for samples)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 11:24:44 AM »
Synthetic reeds bypass ALL these concerns. Some of us hate them, and some LOVE them. Some of us play ONLY on synthetic reeds ... like me (Fibracell). In Sabbath services, I alternate between 2 clarinets and flute, with long pauses between ... in New Mexico! where it's desert-dry and often air conditioned-dry. No matter. I just pick up and blow.

I don't want to hijack the topic of this thread, just to mention the option. You can search the topic here (search box in upper right) and find all sorts of debate. It may be worth a try!
Yea I love how having a Legere has totally changed how I play. I can just leave it on the clarinet, on its stand, all day, then just pick it up and play again.
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Bethany

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
I do have a synthetic (Legere) reed too :)
I try to rotate my use of 3-4 cane reeds and one Legere.

Definitely see several advantages to the Legere -enjoying it very much! But still quite keen on the cane reeds, too.