Author Topic: Jean Lambert metal clarinet  (Read 29 times)

Offline echohce

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Jean Lambert metal clarinet
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:32:08 AM »
Hello there, I've been looking to get a metal clarinet and for some brands is relatively easy to find info, and I'd like to know a little about it before I get one as I don't want to get a prettier but more entry level instrument than the one I currently have. Looking at a Jean Lambert metal clarinet and all I've been able to find about it was in a topic in this forum and I quote:
     "Harry Bettoney was notorious for stamping French sounding names on metal clarinets forged in Boston, Mass. Henri Dubois, Henry La Vella, Jean Lambert, L. Lebret, Leon Aubert, and no telling how many others are    French names that were stamped on Bettoney metal clarinets Made In USA."
(http://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php?topic=1188.0)

Does anybody know anything else about this clarinet?

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Jean Lambert metal clarinet
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »
For the most part, most metal clarinets are relatively low quality, student-level models.

There's a general rule of thumb that usually works - the more pieces the clarinet has, the better it is.

Quality goes from low to high: one piece, two piece, three piece.

If the clarinet has a detachable bell, it's generally higher quality than one that does not come apart at all.

Finally, Bettony is generally a pretty good brand in general and is probably a bit better than a comparable "other" brand metal clarinet.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline echohce

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Lambert metal clarinet
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 02:00:00 AM »
Thanks, thats very useful information