Author Topic: Adjustable barrels  (Read 61 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Adjustable barrels
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:34 PM »
Just saw a Match Pitch Barrel and it looks quite interesting and inexpensive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsH-gnM2780

Then I saw a Berkely Barrel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT2d6ZVeZik

There seems to be a number of them available.

Any thoughts on these or others? Like 'em or hate 'em.

I am a new player and it seems like a good idea.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Re: Adjustable barrels
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 02:36:36 AM »
They do seem like a good idea, tho expensive I imagine. Also it could make for a good effect, sliding while playing
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Flyboy

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »
The Match Pitch is out of stock apparently but it is 49.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:34:28 PM »
I've had a Berkeley barrel for 4 years. I use it a lot for my technical work, to determine optimum barrel length for horns I'm working on. Its bore matches typical modern clarinets. It's made of aluminum with a thick and durable black coating. The mechanism is very smooth. It takes quite a few turns to make a difference, so accidentally turning it a bit is not significant.

The only limitation I see is that when extended out, the telescoping tubes form a an internal expansion gap in which the bore is larger (but not nearly as large as that formed when pulling out a normal barrel). Nevertheless, this gap gets significantly long if you need to extend the barrel beyond maybe 66mm. In that case, the gap can dull or de-tune some of the throat notes especially the Bb.

In conclusion, if your typical tuning need is to shorten the horn for cold conditions, it's great. Simply turn it longer as things warm up, which is smoothly done on the fly. If you need to go unusually long and low, it's not great because of the internal gap (and the external gaps looks conspicuous too).

After four years of occasional use, mine looks and works like new. It has the feel of a precision machine. There is a bit of noticeable grease in the inner gap, probably silicone grease. It stays there and should not be disturbed as it's part of the seal and keeps the action smooth.
Windy  ~  BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C CLARINETS & Pruefer Silver Throat
Refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages