Author Topic: If you could only keep one clarinet, which one would it be?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline gkern

• View Profile
    • http://clarinut.net
If you could only keep one clarinet, which one would it be?
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
As I look at my stack of clarinets, some of which are rarely played, I wonder:  If I could only have one, which of these would it be?

The SML King Marigaux would be hard to part with as would the Selmer Centered Tone, and I am really attached to the Penzel Muellers, and the Conn 16 like Kenny Davern played, and, and, and.  Well, you get the drift.

So which one of yours would you keep?
Playing a clarinet badly is better than not playing a clarinet at all.

Offline BLMonopole

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RE: If you could only keep one clarinet, which one would it be?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
Buffet R-13.  

But if I could keep 2, I would also keep a Selmer Series 9* or a Monopole Conservatoire.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
I\'d probably keep the McIntyre, or the Bottali, purely due to the rarity and beauty of them
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:34:10 AM »
The Jean Marbeau. It plays so well and it was one of the last presents my grandmother got me. If it got sold on, the next owner probably wouldn\'t see anything more than an old clarinet.

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:29:58 AM »
I go for intonation, good response and tone. So (you\'ll think I am trying to sell you something), it would be my Ridenour Bb. And I would hate to give up my Ridenour C.

I am the proud owner of a Penzel-Mueller A clarinet, so that is my current favorite for playing in church.

I totally agree with Ridenour\'s new video on Sharp Low Register. It has great information on bore sizes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZdMiwCs8Ys&feature=em-subs_digest
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:32:04 AM by philpedler »

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:16:58 AM »
well, for me, it\'s a no-brainer .. my one and ONLY Buffet Crampon in my collection.. which really isn\'t much of a collection at all, as of now.. i currently have 4 .. with a 5th one on the way.. and i just recently sold probably my 2nd best clarinet ever, the Selmer Paris Brevete with articulated C#/G# and 4 ringed upper joint.. though unfortunately the auction didn\'t land me a great price for it.. but it was respectable, at least..  well, back to the original topic at hand; i choose the Buffet, really just because of what it is more so than on it\'s play ability and intonation attributes.. and the fact that it was the most expensive purchase in my collection.. and also the oldest model clarinet i\'ve evr owned.. this particular integrated barrel design Buffet, according to my research, dates back to 1890 ... which really blew me away.. i had no idea it was that old.. until now..  and i also realize the chances of me owning another Buffet Crampon wood clarinet, let alone, another 19th century clarinet, are very slim to none.. as far as the rest of my collection goes, i\'m currently trying to get a Tempertone into playing condition.. bought a complete set of pads from China for only $5.00 ... and depending on what success i have, i more than likely will sell that one.. the other clarinets i have (all Boehm system Bb sopranos) are the Victory (made in France) metal clarinet, and an Amati Kraslice ACL-201 student clarinet which is probably not more than 7 years old, i would guess..  plays, feels, looks like new ... relatively new, anyway..  and last but not least, i have another metal clarinet coming... a Pedler Premiere..  don\'t know if that\'s gonna be a keeper or not, but we\'ll see... and in other news (clarinet related, of course).. i\'ve started playing my clarinets in an actual band.. i play with my local community concert band.. or should i say, try to play, hahaha.. clarinet parts in your typical concert band musical literature are hard ... i just cant read the music fast enough sometimes..  even 3rd clarinet parts feature lightning fast runs in difficult areas, like the register break.. not to mention very tricky difficult fingering patterns.. and i could go on and on and on.. but, well, let\'s face it.. i am a beginner at playing soprano clarinet in a band..  bass clarinet and alto, for that matter were never this hard..  and well, the music we are working on is definitely fairly advanced level stuff ... not meant for beginners.. but it\'s fun ! i just enjoy playing in a band again.. havn\'t missed a practice since i started, well over a month ago..

Offline TMHeimer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: If you could only keep one clarinet, which one would it be?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 08:32:04 PM »
I'd have to keep my most recently purchased (1999) Buffet Bb R13. I need this for performances. If I weren't playing anywhere I think I'd keep my Buffet C-- bought new in 1976 and in need of serious repair.
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on the book image then on PDF for samples)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 03:11:02 AM »
I only have one   ;)
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline jordan.1210

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »
It would be hard to lose all the other clarinets in my collection, but I would have to probably have keep my Selmer Bb full Boehm. I've come to really like it for its place in clarinet history, its quirks (I like weird instruments or instruments with interesting features), and how it plays.
I spend way too much time looking at instruments I probably shouldn't be buying.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 03:00:24 PM »
Years later, my sentiment hasn't changed. My two favorites are the McIntyre and the Bottali.

However in a fire, I would save the Bottali. You can actually buy a McIntyre every now and then.

You simply CANNOT buy another one of my Bottalis, as far as I can tell it's simply unique. It's not worth very much but for the absolute rarity of it means I just can't let it go.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 08:29:08 AM »
Dave - I'm curious. I searched Bottali in Clarinetpages and Google and it comes up silent. What is it?
Windy  ~  BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C CLARINETS & Pruefer Silver Throat
Refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
Windy, for some reason all I have on me are these pre-restoration photos. Robert Bauder did an incredible restoration on it - picture the clarinet, except mirror shiny!

I have the clarinet somewhere in storage; I'll have to dig it out one of these days and do some nice glamour shots.

What's unique about it is the fact that it's
a) simple system (sans rollers)
b) metal
c) PLATEAU
d) and from a manufacturer rarely seen in the US

I've never seen any other metal, plateau, simple systems before. The National Music Museum had a few examples of wood simple systems with plateau keys, but as far as metals - I'm pretty sure I have the only one this side of the hemisphere

Offline BLMonopole

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 06:00:19 AM »
Stii...My trusty 1960 Buffet R-13.  Been with me since I was 15 years old and still plays like a dream.

(Now, if you asked which TWO instruments I'd keep, that'd be a challenge...The Selmer Paris Series 9* has been sold, and I love the Monopole Conservatoire, but would sell it if I could get a decent price for it.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:04:17 PM by BLMonopole »

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
Dave - Love that Bottali! 

Even in this age of speed, we are play an instrument from the steam-engine era. Long live the clarinet!
Windy  ~  BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C CLARINETS & Pruefer Silver Throat
Refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages

Offline TMHeimer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Yes, it is a tribute to longevity. I have always said from my Band Director days that it amazes me that (school and otherwise) bands and orchestras still exist, and in many places thrive. Hey, my mother was in Band in H.S. in 1930. Played clarinet with the reason being it got her out of Math class!  Some things never change I guess.
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on the book image then on PDF for samples)