Author Topic: If you could only keep one clarinet, which one would it be?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline tyleman

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: If you could only keep one clarinet, which one would it be?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
I would keep my 1958 Selmer Centered Tone. But - that may change as I recently sent a Selmer BT M serial number off to be overhauled. But I'm also fond of a recently-acquired Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire full Boehm which plays great (I bought it to sell, but...)

Offline Windsong

• Posted from my A G Bell rotary phone
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 09:39:18 PM »
A few years ago I took a keen interest in Harry Pedler's works, as some of you may recall.  It would be hard to walk away from that collection, but in terms of absolute rarity and connectedness to an instrument, I simply would have to be destitute to rid myself of my old low pitch Kolar Czech C.  It is an extraordinary, brilliant machine.
The Clarinet Pages forum court jester, and expert bubblegum welder.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 10:49:56 PM »
I would keep my 1958 Selmer Centered Tone. But - that may change as I recently sent a Selmer BT M serial number off to be overhauled. But I'm also fond of a recently-acquired Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire full Boehm which plays great (I bought it to sell, but...)
I have worked on 3 Centered Tones so far and every single time I really wished I could have kept it. Two were for clients, one was for myself. I really should have kept the one I bought personally.
CT is probably the nicest sounding and most all-around "good" clarinet I've ever played.

I currently keep a Noblet Stubbins system as a daily player (mainly for the novelty), but the CT really should be everyone's daily player.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 10:11:01 AM »
Windsong, you refer to "Kolar Czech C.  It is an extraordinary, brilliant machine."

I think you mean Kohlert, but (being an avid C fixer and player) I'm curious to know what makes it so special?
Windy  ~  BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C CLARINETS & Pruefer Silver Throat
Refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »
If it could only be one, no matter what key, it would be my V. Kohlert's
                                                                                          Sons
                                                                                        Graslitz
                                                                                    Czecho-Slovakia sopranino Eb LP

Very tough question to answer and makes one think very critically.

I feel that it's relatively easy to find an exceptional Bb soprano.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages