Author Topic: Need Help with Pricing, Please  (Read 1580 times)

Offline aaronkei

• View Profile
Need Help with Pricing, Please
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:37 AM »
Hello,
My name is Aaron and I am a college student from South Carolina. I have an R13, serial number 385002, so I think it was made in '94. I was curious as to how much a clarinet like this, in good condition, would run. I got it 4 years ago and it cost me $1,644. I want to get a clarinet from the 70's or older, but I want to see how much I might could get out of this one. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Aaron

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Need Help with Pricing, Please
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
An easy way to price is to on eBay and do an "Advanced Search" for your clarinet, but check the box marked "Sold Items Only"

This lets you see exactly how much other similar clarinets have sold for.

A search like this finds that an R13 clarinet can sell for as low as 800 to as high as 1200.  I would wager that yours would go for between 1000 and 1100 if its in great shape.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:56:42 PM »
" I want to get a clarinet from the 70's or older, but I want to see how much I might could get out of this one. Can anyone help?"

-Aaron, keep the RI3 - JUST KEEP IT!. There's no need to sell it to get a vintage clarinet - they're literally a dime-a-dozen unless of course it's an R13! Buy an old Conn and call it a day . . . . . . . .
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »
I sort of agree with BlueBeam. An R13 from after 1980-something should have a poly-cylindrical bore and be better in tune than most vintage clarinets (with possible exceptions being Penzel-Mueller, perhaps Pruefer and some Boosey-Hawkes). Consider getting your clarinet tweaked or reconditioned if you are not satisfied with it.

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
What Phil and Dave said.  Hang on that R13 - if you want a vintage instrument to go with it, go ahead, but I wouldn't sell the R13 to finance that.  That clarinet will hold its value better than practically any other, and will always be ready to go with a good overhaul.  Whether it goes through one of our hands or through those of a high priced pad jockey, that horn is a keeper. 

Be patient and do your research before you buy.  We're here to help with advice.  (see above)  Get a really good idea of what you want before you buy.  There's a whole world of great old vintage clarinets.  We're real fans of the old Penzel-Muellers (these are pre-1960's instruments, on the whole) around these parts, for example.  I have three Bb PMs (two awaiting overhaul) and an alto that's really a Kohlert with a PM logo on it.  You can get them for not much money if you persistently look in the right spots.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.