Author Topic: What is a Buffet C13  (Read 657 times)

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
What is a Buffet C13
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
Someone from Texas is sending me a Buffet C13 to recondition and evaluate. I haven't heard of that model before.

I have found this thread at the woodwind.org forum: http://test.woodwind.org/clarinet/BBoard/read.html?f=1&i=62291&t=62291

Some of the C13 were made in Germany, but this one has a stamp that says it was made in France.

If any of you have ideas as to the value of a 1988 C13, please comment.

Phil

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: What is a Buffet C13
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:45:34 PM »
I was able to discover that the Buffet "International" is the same as the Buffet C13.

The story is - apparently - that the C13 was made for the mass market, both online and in chain stores, while the International was only available in smaller, "mom and pop" style shops.

The International came in a nicer case, and had "International" stamped in the upper joint. It also featured silver-plated keys, which should be unlike the C13 keys.

Unfortunately, the International had plastic tone hole inserts, which was a total bummer. I believe it was made in Germany as opposed to France.

I don't believe there was any functional difference between the two; those who went to the small music store were treated to a nicer case and nice key plating for around the same price.

Something about Buffet trying to help out small shops or something.

For value, I believe I ended up selling the International for around $400-$450.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline johant

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Buffet C13
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »
I think the American "International" was similar to the E11 we know in Europe?

My guess would be that the C13 could be similar to the European E13. That is a very popular model around here.

The only thing is that the current Buffet E13 definitely has a polycylindrical bore (I am not sure about the E11).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:41:04 AM by johant »
Proud member of the Buffet Mafia ;-)