Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Noblet DN  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Noblet DN
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
I just bought a Noblet DN serial number 9200D. I thought it was an early 40 until I noticed Separate Post Mounted C#/G# keys 
I know the newer L45 has Separate c#/G# post and the Leblancs do too, but I have not send any older Noblets with this key set up.
Any Ideas?

thanks

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Noblet DN
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »
Congratulations on your find. The D. Noblet clarinets and stencils of them are generally excellent playing instruments from early to late models.

Do you have any photos of it you can post? Most of these inconsistencies can be cleared up by comparing a number of details that are better seen than described. Take a few shots showing all sides of the two joints and do them in daylight so all the details can be seen. A detail shot showing the serial numbers on both parts is also helpful.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »
Thanks. I will take pictures tomorrow morning and post them.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
Here are the pictures of the Clarinet.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:38:15 AM »
More

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »
Thank-you for featuring your Noblet, Paul.  :)

Between us, we have two of a kind (sort of) that now fall into a transitional production time period, but exactly what time period is still a question for me at least. These illustrate that model 40 transitions into model 45. The dividing line between models is more of a series of changes that don't happen all at once.

Paul's new Noblet matches one I have for parts/restoration down to the blue case cloth. Is the exterior of the case also black vinyl with a imprinted texture?

Oddly, while the trademarks on all parts and key work all match your Noblet, the serilaization is different. This matching one is simply a numerical serial, #11561. This one has always been confusing to me as well because most of the ones with this later key work arrangement also have the later Noblet trademark. See it side by side with #A 14649. The key work matches except for small details, but the trademark changed;- on everything except the barrel of #A 14649, which has the same trademark that was on #11561.

I think the parts on both of these are all original, but it is plausible that the barrel might have been swapped in the past for an older barrel. It is also plausible that Noblet parts were used up in production at different rates and there might have been a few barrels with the old trademark paired with Noblets that had the later trademark on the bodies.

I discussed my findings on the nature of assembly line production on another thread. The models I investigated intensively were Pan American and Conn student models, the Pan American 56A/58A which part by part gradually morphed into the Conn Director 14A. One example I have has a Pan American inscribed bell but a Conn serial number. After I found that one, a few other vintage brass players reported a couple of others like it. On the assembly line one model gradually becomes the next version depending on varying rates of parts production, it appears.

With these particular Noblets, these two so far, but plausibly several more, the key work was upgraded before the trademark was changed? That's the best plausible explanation I can come up with.

It's comforting to me to know that I don't have the only strange bird in the flock. These are transitional somewhere in the 40 >?> 45 model production series. It's either a late model 40 or an early model 45 depending on your preference.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
There are some minor differences in the lower joints of these two as well, so I did a few shots for comparison of areas that were slightly altered. Note the D# side key location and shape in photo 1, the bridge "T" engagement in photo 2, the shape of the RH 5 key cluster in photo 3, the addition of another locking post in photo 4.

As soon as Leblanc took over Noblet production, the models begin to shift toward Leblanc key types. There are some D. Noblets that have the old style trills on the top joint with separated LH5 lever posts on the lower joint. As far as playability goes, the only one I have currently in playing condition is a stencil of the early model, probably 1920s or 30s. It plays great! Reports from others on later models are similarly encouraging.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:36:43 PM by Silversorcerer »

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
Most interesting. thanks....I picked mine up relatively cheap on Ebay, because it was listed as a labranch.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »
Most interesting. thanks....I picked mine up relatively cheap on Ebay, because it was listed as a labranch.
Sweet!  ;D