Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage clarinet  (Read 10380 times)

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Vintage clarinet
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 09:14:54 PM »
A short while ago someone was selling a Connstellation that was made in Germany. That was a circa 1952 model, so the German Conns, including one salvaged 424N that I have and probably yours also, was made around 1950. I attribute these to Schreiber & Sohne because the serial digits and the Made in Germany mark are the same. These are still very much Conn clarinets in the important details.

Pedler worked for Conn around 1910. There were still similarities in the 50s, but probably more similarities in the 1920s and 1930s.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Scottlein

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 05:38:16 AM »
What do you think of the name on the case? Turner Musical instruments?

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 07:09:46 AM »
You might need to know more than just the name. An address for Turner would help. If you knew when this particular Turner was in business, it might tell you something. Cases get switched sometimes but quite often an instrument is in an original case. There was once a division of Gibson called Turner Musical Instruments, but I don't know the history of that or if that would be the correct Turner company.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Scottlein

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
and the plat thickens. I did put it together last night to try to play it and i couldnt get any sound out of it so i thought it was just me because i hadnt played in a while so i put the Conn together and it played so not sure whats up with it. the keys on the Hoosier are in better shape than the Conn. we will see after Phil gets done with them.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
All it takes is one bad seal in the upper joint somewhere and you won't get much sound. I have one Bettoney/Pedler, I like to call "Harry Frankenstein" with nearly destroyed keys but the pads still seal and it plays well despite the wobbly keys. Most of these antique clarinets will have one or two finicky details to attend to in the set up to get them to optimum playing condition.