Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Albert/Boehm/Oehler for Bepop Jazz and Classical?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline ZooBooBooZoo

• View Profile
Albert/Boehm/Oehler for Bepop Jazz and Classical?
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:12:31 AM »
Hi all.

I'm a guitar player with a long time passion for clarinet, Thinking of getting my 1st one.
I'm currently in Istanbul and interested in getting a Turkish G Clarinet, all of which are made with Albert systems and focus on playing turkish music.

From what I gathered playing heavily chromatic/rapidly key changing styles of music like Bepop or late romantic is very diffcult on an Albert.
This is a bit intmidating for me. I don't mind getting a different clarinet in a different key(Bb) later on but getting one with a different system is another story especially since this is not my 1st instrument.

I would really like to play classical era/eraly romantic and Bepop Jazz later on with the Clarinet.

What about the Oehler for genres like Bepop? and is it similar to the Albert?
If it is similar and better suited for chromaticism maybe that can be a solution for later on.

Thx in advance for the help.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:21:55 AM by ZooBooBooZoo »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Albert/Boehm/Oehler for Bepop Jazz and Classical?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »
Oehler is more similar to Albert than it is to Boehm.

I've never had an Oehler but looking at pictures, it appears to be in essence an albert with more advanced keywork as well as a few extra thingys here and there. 
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:56:50 PM »
When most of the classical repertoire was written, there was no Boehm system clarinet, which is more accurately the Klosé / Buffet system. One resource that I recently referenced, "The Early Clarinet: A Practical Guide" points out that many orchestra players were still using Albert system clarinets as late as the mid 20th century.

Whether or not the classical repertoire is easier with a Boehm clarinet or not, it appears to be easier if one has an A clarinet as well as an Bb and generally an orchestra player is required to have both. That seems to indicate that there are keys in the classical repertoire that are not Bb Boehm friendly. Which system one uses might be less important than the key the music is written for with the classical repertoire. Germans and a good portion of Europe favor the Oehler system for classical music so how bad could it be? I think for classical, it is a matter of experience and personal preference.

Most of the bebop and jazz is written in what some of us call "horn keys". Those are keys that are "home" keys for brass, saxes, and Bb / Eb woodwinds. Those keys are always going to be easier to play with a Bb soprano clarinet. I don't have enough experience with Albert or Oehler to know if there is a great advantage to a Boehm over these for this music, but I can definitely say that there are some keys that are not as Bb Boehm friendly as others.

What I have found out about Boehm is that I prefer the 7-ring version over the more typical 6-ring. That 7th ring makes certain key scales and arpeggios easier to move through if you know when to use it.

If you are bound to the Albert system by starting with Turkish music, then it will probably be easier to learn the Oehler system on top of that because like Dave pointed out, Oehler is mostly Albert with some refinements and extra keys.

Be aware also that the key system is not the only difference between Boehm and Oehler. Boehm clarinets use a mouthpiece design that evolved in France and Oehler uses a mouthpiece design that evolved in Germany. These are significantly different in the way these play and the reeds for each are cut differently. I would suggest that you compare the Turkish clarinet mouthpiece to the German mouthpiece and the French mouthpiece to see which is most similar to a Turkish G clarinet. The type of embouchure technique you learn is just as important as the key system, if not more so.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »
I thought more about this and remembered that there were some quite well known early jazz players of the New Orleans jazz tradition that used Albert system clarinets, even metal Albert system clarinets. When I first looked into Albert system instruments I found a good bit by searching, so I ran another search and came up with some things that might be relevant. I think this is the same page I found a few years ago.
http://capionlarsen.com/the-albert-system/
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile

Offline KenJarczyk

• So, how many guys in your quartet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »
Check out a cat named Ismail  Luminovski.  He runs the New York Gypsy All Stars.  He did Julluard, but tours the globe blowing some real wild clarinet.  In his arsenal is a gorgeous Turkish G clarinet.

One of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/XwWuPlYQyyQ

And on the G clarinet

https://youtu.be/Ym0KKb0KPDA

Ken Jarczyk
Woodwind Artist
E-Flat, C, B-Flat, A, Bass Clarinets
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone Saxophones
Flute, Alto Flute, Piccolo

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 08:15:51 AM »
Nice tracks, Ken!  Thank you!  I shared them with my fellow clarinerds on FB.
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 12:21:09 PM »
Check out a cat named Ismail  Luminovski.  He runs the New York Gypsy All Stars.  He did Julluard, but tours the globe blowing some real wild clarinet.  In his arsenal is a gorgeous Turkish G clarinet.

One of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/XwWuPlYQyyQ

And on the G clarinet

https://youtu.be/Ym0KKb0KPDA

Thumbs up on these guys.  Great stuff.  TighT.  Ismail just kills it here. 

He's playing a full boehm Buffet here on the Bb link.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:23:14 PM by rezzie »
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.