Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Horst Moennig Low C bass  (Read 2342 times)

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Horst Moennig Low D bass
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 02:49:13 PM »
Here's a pic of my Horst!  I'm calling it a Low D bass because that's what it does when you stuff a cork in his belly-button.

I got it playing basically, but it needs tone-hole repair to stop some leaks. It already sounds gorgeous in the chalumeau, in spite of weaknesses. Intonation checks out good, though I can barely play anything in the clarion yet.

It has been used a LOT. It shows many signs of amateur repairs (besides mine!). Tone holes are the biggest problem. Some are slightly chipped or worn, and some have been flattened off probably too much. I need a more up-turned neck. My ear tells me it's worth the continuing investment.

The keywork is unplated German silver, and VERY rigid. It is hand-engraved "LA City Schools" next to the Horst Moennig emblem on the bell. It doesn't say Baxter-Northrup like yours, Dave. Logo on the wood is same as yours.

I'd like to know more of its history!

Have a look:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 07:15:14 PM by windydankoff »
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Horst Moennig Low C bass
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 09:16:41 PM »
What a lovely instrument! Do you know what that belly button does? I have a bass clarinet somewhere with that thing and I'll be darned if I can tell what it's usage is.

Interesting how yours has unplated German silver keys. Mine appears to have some sort of yellowish, vaguely gold looking plating on it. I feel like German silver is really the way to go. Kudos on the pickup!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States