Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jean Marbeau  (Read 2824 times)

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
Jean Marbeau
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:51 PM »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Jean Marbeau
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
Nice!  Seems like an awesome instrument.  Somebody obviously liked that one enough to get aftermarket Buffet accessories.  I want one!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »
Very interesting.

The seventh ring is not indispensable, but it is certainly advantageous. In the pre-R13 era, I wonder how different this might be from a Couesnon, JTL, or other stencils of those? I don't think I have seen that particular stencil name before. I might have overlooked it due to the price. It seems a bit steep for a pre R13 stencil even with the 7th ring considering the previous repairs and part substitutions. My guess is it will end up selling for less.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Neither of the 2 I have had had the 7th ring. There is a review of one on this site. The second one I got in hopes of swapping joints, but it was...messed up. It's remnants are the engraved clarinet pictures. The second one had something sticky spilled on it 'round about 100 years ago. No idea what it was, but it may as well have been roofing tar.

I am also surprised on the price of the listed one.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »
Another Jean Marbeau has appeared on the radar, 6-ring, old box case, spiral register, single LH5 lever post, possibly with a substitute HR barrel;- looks like a good restoration candidate and a better price and no visible previous repairs. I could post the address but it will be easy to find.  ;)
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
The 2 I had were from different makers, I think. This one has the same case as my good one. I would grab a cheap one, but I've got a backlog.

What did they do on the lower joint of this one? Cut the road to get the lyre ring on? Are they using it as a clamp to hold a crack?

I'll post the link so  others can see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jean-Marbeau-Wood-Clarinet-with-case-/282081739794?hash=item41ad61c412:g:AW4AAOSwM4xXcatT

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »
interesting.  it seems like they really wanted the lyre there.  though it may well be a crack repair, since the area around it looks somewhat rough
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
One could always ask the seller about the placement of the clamp or possible crack. Compared to other French stencils of that era and equal quality, it's still a high price. We'll see how it goes.

There is definitely an undue "Buffet stencil" bias, IMO, for this era. R-13 era Buffets I understand the concept, but earlier Buffet clarinets? I don't have the direct experience necessary to inform me, but from what others report there were many early French makers that built clarinets of equal or better quality and these usually sell for less than anything rumored or known to be a Buffet stencil.

With the Marbeau, I'd like someone to compare one to a D. Noblet, a JTL, a Couesnon, an A. Robert, M. Lacroix, etc. If it is in a different universe, then the price is probably OK. If not, buy 2 of something else instead.