Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How many clarinets do you own?  (Read 49892 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: How many clarinets do you own?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
No problem, Polka!  I\'ll let you know the next time I end up with an Oboe in hand :)
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 08:19:13 PM »
1- Selmer Bundy 1430P Bass Clarinet (older, 80\'s or 90\'s model)                                 2- Vito Alto Clarinet (resonite body, older model, 70\'s or 80\'s)                                      3- Normandy \"Special\" (made by Noblet) bell and barrel plastic                                    4- Boosey & Hawkes Stratford Bb Clarinet (all wood)                                                  5- Pan American Zyloid Bb Clarinet (hard rubber, unique barrel)                                  6- Airline Bb Clarinet (all plastic)                                                                               7- Penzel Mueller Studio Recording Bb Clarinet (made in France)                                 8- Victory metal Bb Clarinet                                                                                       9- F. Loree Paris Bb Clarinet (all wood, 1 of only 250 made)                                        10- C. Mahillon Bb (low pitch) albert system all wood clarinet (possibly 19th century)      11- C. Mahillon C (high pitch) albert system all wood clarinet (possibly 19th century)     12- Noblet Bb Clarinet (all wood, diamond shaped logo, from 1964) same age as me...  13- H. Selmer Paris Brevette Bb Clarinet (with articulated C#/G# key) 30\'s or 40\'s ...     14- Ledoux National Bb clarinet (all wood, bell might be plastic, made in France)           15- Conn antique(1905 or so) high pitch Bb hard rubber (advanced albert system)         16- G.L. Penzel Mueller antique style boehm Bb all wood clarinet 7 rings and right hand pinkie rollers for Eb and F keys                                             17- Buffet Crampon antique or very old Bb boehm all wood (the \"no barrel\" design, extraordinary!)                                                                                                       --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------yes, i do believe you can have too many clarinets... that\'s why my inventory is always changing..  have to keep it manageable..  for me, i think 22 is where it starts to become too many... as far as the 17 that i have right now, all of them are playable...most play perfectly...a couple, less than perfect (a few pads here and there, minor key issues) there\'s one i think i will need Phil\'s help with ( a spa treatment) , the Studio Recording...   .....................................................................................................................................  as to what clarinets i want to add to my collection : i\'m looking to have the  \"complete\" collection... by that, i mean everything from the smallest Eb clarinet all the way to the biggest contrabass clarinet, and everything in between...  i have owned Eb, A, and even a G clarinet before.. but those are now gone.. i\'ve done a lot of selling of my clarinets lately, with hopes of landing a contrabass.. but unfortunately, it didn\'t pan out the way i\'d hoped.. the bidding got out of reach.. but i was able to buy something else i\'ve always wanted.. it\'s not a clarinet though;  i now will add a baritone sax to my collection; also have a bassoon by the way, so i\'ve got the low reeds section covered... there\'s really no particular model clarinet that i\'m striving to own... i\'ll just know it when i see it...

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »
hk;hk;h;kh;

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »
Another update! Number 11 has been added.

19?? Pruefer Silver Throat - 54564
19?? Selmer USA 103 - 295733
19?? Champion Hard Rubber - 32329
19?? Lefebre Artiste French Stencil - 40
1949 Conn 424N - 332915 - Refurbished by Jeremy (the vintage clarinet doctor)
1949 Conn 424N - 337079
1956 Conn 80N Victor - 575139
194? Bundy - wooden w/ a \"Resonite\" Bell that\'s actually wooden - 50249
1918 Conn USQM hard rubber - 42276
19?? H.N. White La Fabier hard rubber simple system - no numbers
19?? C. Fischer (French Buffet) w/ wrap around register key - this oldie has the clearest and best sounding throat Bb of the bunch. I really like this one! (even with a cracked bell)

Also, I would like to welcome clarinetcrazie64 to the forum! I would like to see pics of your #17 barreless Buffet!
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
Clarinetcrazy: very cool collection!  I love the C. Mahillon, F. Loree, the Penzel with roller boehm keys, and barrelless buffet!  Pictures of all would be welcomed.

Polka: Nice wooden Resonite bell!  That is bizarre, can we have a picture?

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 12:46:07 AM »
Quote from: \'TheBlueBeamPolkaProject\' pid=\'1286\' dateline=\'1375923357\'

Another update! Number 11 has been added.

19?? Pruefer Silver Throat - 54564
19?? Selmer USA 103 - 295733
19?? Champion Hard Rubber - 32329
19?? Lefebre Artiste French Stencil - 40
1949 Conn 424N - 332915 - Refurbished by Jeremy (the vintage clarinet doctor)
1949 Conn 424N - 337079
1956 Conn 80N Victor - 575139
194? Bundy - wooden w/ a \"Resonite\" Bell that\'s actually wooden - 50249
1918 Conn USQM hard rubber - 42276
19?? H.N. White La Fabier hard rubber simple system - no numbers
19?? C. Fischer (French Buffet) w/ wrap around register key - this oldie has the clearest and best sounding throat Bb of the bunch. I really like this one! (even with a cracked bell)

Also, I would like to welcome clarinetcrazie64 to the forum! I would like to see pics of your #17 barreless Buffet!

hi guys ! thanks for the feedback on my collection! i\'m flattered that you want to see pics of some of them.. yea, the \"no barrel\" designed Buffet is my favorite , and the one i most likely will never sell.. i remember when i first laid eyes on it, on eBay... and knew i just had to have it! i made a sacrifice for it though...i sold my 1 yr. old Leblanc Bliss all wood Bb ... that\'s the only reason i was able to get the Buffet .. anyways, i will attach some pics in my next post.. and in other news, not clarinet related, i\'ve got a vintage old \"bari\" sax coming my way... excited about that! havn\'t played one since my high school days..30 yrs. to b exact...though i had a tenor a few years ago.. and in the past few years i\'ve also owned and played flute. oboe, as well as a few brass instruments, trumpet and an old vintage mellophone.. but i\'m no good at playing brass instruments, let me tell ya... just havn\'t got the \"chops\" for em..lol.. from now on, i\'m sticking to woodwinds.. clarinets are my 1st and foremost love though.. always will be... i\'ll get those pics up soon..

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 05:13:43 AM »
Quote from: \'DaveLeBlanc\' pid=\'1296\' dateline=\'1375930807\'

Clarinetcrazy: very cool collection!  I love the C. Mahillon, F. Loree, the Penzel with roller boehm keys, and barrelless buffet!  Pictures of all would be welcomed.

Hi Dave. Check out the link:)
http://clarinetpages.info/showthread.php?tid=255
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
[attachment=282][attachment=283][attachment=284][attachment=285][attachment=286][attachment=287][attachment=288][attachment=289][attachment=290]
Quote from: \'DaveLeBlanc\' pid=\'1296\' dateline=\'1375930807\'

i\'ll post these pics in segments; alas , one clarinet at a time... 1st segment : the C. Mahillons , Bb ( low pitch ) and C (high pitch ) these clarinets are almost identical, except for the obvious difference in pitch and size.. i bought these clarinets together as a 3 piece set, the 3rd being a Bb (high pitch) which i no longer have.. yes , they came in a huge triple (fully assembled) clarinet case... antique (made of wood).. came with some really old used reeds,  a few of which are still playable.. and sound incredible...the tone of these instruments is very unique.. they sound like antique clarinets.. right now the \"C\" is the better player among the 2... the Bb low has a loose fit at the midsection.. so it plays with a bit more resistance than i\'d like.. it\'s still fully playable though, even with no cork on the tenon joint.. still need to get that area fixed though, for better playing stability.. and if you\'re wondering about the inscriptions on the bell, translated, they read : Gold Medal, Paris, 1878 , C. Mahillon, Brussels ... oh, if only i still had that little , faded to brown hard rubber C. Mahillon antique albert Eb clarinet..  sold it long before i got these... so that\'s the story of my Mahillons ...

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 01:10:07 AM »
i really like the red color of the bells!  and that wooden mouthpiece cap - beyond cool

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2013, 01:20:31 AM »
Quote from: \'clarinetcrazie64\' pid=\'1284\' dateline=\'1375845553\'

1- Selmer Bundy 1430P Bass Clarinet (older, 80\'s or 90\'s model)                                 2- Vito Alto Clarinet (resonite body, older model, 70\'s or 80\'s)                                      3- Normandy \"Special\" (made by Noblet) bell and barrel plastic                                    4- Boosey & Hawkes Stratford Bb Clarinet (all wood)                                                  5- Pan American Zyloid Bb Clarinet (hard rubber, unique barrel)                                  6- Airline Bb Clarinet (all plastic)                                                                               7- Penzel Mueller Studio Recording Bb Clarinet (made in France)                                 8- Victory metal Bb Clarinet                                                                                       9- F. Loree Paris Bb Clarinet (all wood, 1 of only 250 made)                                        10- C. Mahillon Bb (low pitch) albert system all wood clarinet (possibly 19th century)      11- C. Mahillon C (high pitch) albert system all wood clarinet (possibly 19th century)     12- Noblet Bb Clarinet (all wood, diamond shaped logo, from 1964) same age as me...  13- H. Selmer Paris Brevette Bb Clarinet (with articulated C#/G# key) 30\'s or 40\'s ...     14- Ledoux National Bb clarinet (all wood, bell might be plastic, made in France)           15- Conn antique(1905 or so) high pitch Bb hard rubber (advanced albert system)         16- G.L. Penzel Mueller antique style boehm Bb all wood clarinet 7 rings and right hand pinkie rollers for Eb and F keys                                             17- Buffet Crampon antique or very old Bb boehm all wood (the \"no barrel\" design, extraordinary!)                                                                                                       --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------yes, i do believe you can have too many clarinets... that\'s why my inventory is always changing..  have to keep it manageable..  for me, i think 22 is where it starts to become too many... as far as the 17 that i have right now, all of them are playable...most play perfectly...a couple, less than perfect (a few pads here and there, minor key issues) there\'s one i think i will need Phil\'s help with ( a spa treatment) , the Studio Recording...   .....................................................................................................................................  as to what clarinets i want to add to my collection : i\'m looking to have the  \"complete\" collection... by that, i mean everything from the smallest Eb clarinet all the way to the biggest contrabass clarinet, and everything in between...  i have owned Eb, A, and even a G clarinet before.. but those are now gone.. i\'ve done a lot of selling of my clarinets lately, with hopes of landing a contrabass.. but unfortunately, it didn\'t pan out the way i\'d hoped.. the bidding got out of reach.. but i was able to buy something else i\'ve always wanted.. it\'s not a clarinet though;  i now will add a baritone sax to my collection; also have a bassoon by the way, so i\'ve got the low reeds section covered... there\'s really no particular model clarinet that i\'m striving to own... i\'ll just know it when i see it...

and now there are 18 ... just got my little Eb albert (high pitch) in today... an antique Carl Fischer ( New York ) all wood Eb albert system.. no case though.. only 2 rings (both on lower joint) 3 side trill keys, and 2 left hand pinkie keys.. omg! you should see the barrel of this thing..it is tiny! the smallest barrel i\'ve ever seen..  i bet this thing is going to play at a very high pitch.. can\'t wait to test it out..

Offline DanCiarcia

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »
I believe asking if one can have too many clarinets is akin to asking if one can own too much gold! Few things hold their value as do well built clarinets. In fact, on average, the are appreciable assets.

The clarinet that I\'m looking for is in the attached photo.  Is anyone surprised that it\'s a Martin Freres? :)

Anyway, here\'s my list (although it is a moving target):

1   A Lefavres   ? Model
2   Artley   18S Prelude
3   B&H   2-20
4   B&H   Edgeware
5   B&H   2-20
6   B&H   2-20
7   B&H   Edgeware
8   Berkshire   Italy
9   Bettoney   Cadet/Boston
10   Buffet   Pre-R13
11   Conn   Director
12   Conn   424 Victor
13   G. Leblanc   Professional
14   Gretsch   Pathfinder - Silver
15   H Pedler   3-String-Lyre
16   H Pedler   ? Model
17   Henri Selmer   Series-9
18   Holton   Collegiate - Silver
19   Jean Cartier   14-K
20   Lafayette   Normandy
21   Lamargue   Hard Rubber
22   LeBlanc   1. D-Lyre-3
23   Leblanc   2. D-Lyre-3
24   Leblanc   3. Normandy
25   Leblanc   4. D-Lyre-1
26   Leblanc   5. D-D
27   Leblanc   6. D-D
28   Leblanc   7. D-Lyre-3
29   Leblanc   8. D-D
30   Leblanc   9. Noblet-Diamond
31   Leblanc   10. Normandy Reso
32   Leblanc   11. D-Lyre-3
33   Leblanc   12. N
34   Leblanc   13. N
35   Leblanc   14. N
36   Leblanc   15. D-D
37   Leblanc   16. Noblet-Diamond
38   Leblanc   17. D-D
39   M Busine   Pegasus
40   M Busine   Pegasus
41   M Lacroix   Wooden
42   Malerne   Standard
43   Martin Freres   1. 1740 Deluxe
44   Martin Freres   2. Harmonie
45   Martin Freres   3. LaMonte
46   Martin Freres   4. 1740 Standard
47   Martin Freres   5. LaMonte
48   Martin Freres   6. LaMonte
49   Martin Freres   7. Classic
50   Martin Freres   8. Prototype B-65
51   Martin Freres   9. B-88A
52   Martin Freres   10. Coudet
53   Martin Freres   11. Boxwood & Ivory  5-key
54   Masson   Wooden
55   Pan American   Wood Grain HR
56   Penzel Mueller   Brilliante
57   Penzel Mueller   Artist
58   Penzel Mueller   Artist
59   Penzel Mueller   Recording Studio
60   Penzel Mueller   Brilliante
61   Rampone   Brevettato
62   S Chapelain   ? Model
63   Selmer   Eb Alto
64   Selmer   103
65   Thibouville   Concert
66   Thibouville   Ecole
67   Wurlitzer   Martin
68   Wurlitzer   Student
--- You play the drums, you play the guitar, but you live and you breathe the CLARINET!

eriutort

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2013, 04:59:53 PM »
In the order that I acquired them.

1. Selmer Signet Soloist, my first clarinet purchased in 1983
2. Holton Collegiate wood
3. Mazeo System Bundy
4. Selmer Series 9 Full Boehm
5. Conn 424N

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
wow Dan I never thought I\'d meet anyone with more clarinets than I, but dang!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Quote from: \'eriutort\' pid=\'1351\' dateline=\'1376783993\'

In the order that I acquired them.

1. Selmer Signet Soloist, my first clarinet purchased in 1983
2. Holton Collegiate wood
3. Mazeo System Bundy
4. Selmer Series 9 Full Boehm
5. Conn 424N

Impressive collection!!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
UPDATE:

GAINS:
1980s White Vito Dazzler, yellowed with age
1980s Bundy 577
1908s Bundy, no barrel
1990s? Jupiter, Bundy case
1950s? Geo M. Bundy Paris articulated, wood
1995 Pocket Sax by Olde World Flutemakers
1860s plateau keyed piccolo, wood
1920s Conn Wolverine C-Melody saxophone, not working
1980s? Bundy Oboe, not working
1980s? Normandy Reso-Tone, not working
1990s? Selmer AS300 Alto Saxophone
1980s? Bundy Bassoon, wood

LOSSES:
1920s Coudet et Cie hard rubber, broken bridge key, not working
1980s Bundy 577, fully refurbished
2000s Selmer USA Bass Clarinet
1920s Artist Solo Seiberling Lucas Music Co., wrap around register key

I made enough selling the Bass that I could go ahead and buy a bassoon!