Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good stuff on ebay  (Read 168940 times)

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
Re: Good stuff on ebay
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »
One of the two of you should have it.  If you're not going to bid on it, though, please do let me know.
I'm sure whatever your max bid is, is higher than mine... I'll let you know as it gets closer whether or not I'm bailing out of the battle :)

Failing you or Mechanic wanting it,  I'll pick it up, otherwise, I've already entered my max bid and it's under the current price.
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »
One of the two of you should have it.  If you're not going to bid on it, though, please do let me know.
I'm sure whatever your max bid is, is higher than mine... I'll let you know as it gets closer whether or not I'm bailing out of the battle :)

Failing you or Mechanic wanting it,  I'll pick it up, otherwise, I've already entered my max bid and it's under the current price.

I'm not in this one.  I saw it, wasn't sure what I was looking at, and just had to put it out there.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. https://clarinetpages.info/

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 06:58:28 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222230218457?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2661

???
 ???

Just what IS this?
Absolutely beautiful, is what THAT is, and the lowest serial number I've ever seen on a Selmer.  Is that L38 (1931) or 138 (1927)?
Rare as a hen's tooth, in any event, and although a bit high to kick off an auction, worth every penny.
A 2 ring Bb?  Don't know the last time I saw one.  Why Selmer would be making such a primitive clarinet that late is beyond me.
It's also VERY moldy.  Just look in that bell (yuck).  It's also in a super cheap, poorly made Boosey and Hawkes case from 1951-1953.  (Ask me how I know with such certainty)
 8)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:11:32 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2016, 07:06:17 PM »
[/quote]

Go get it, Andy.  I'll stay out of it.  As much as I'd love it, I just blew my monthly allowance on an Alto Sax; the likes of which I've been hunting down for 16 years, now, actively, and 29 years since I was swindled out of it (I'll know for certain just how great or poor a choice I've made once it arrives, but for now, I'm stoked.)
If you get it cheap, I'll kick my own keister around the block for days, but I reckon you'll have a fight on your hands with that one.
Best of luck.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:20:05 PM by Windsong »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
As for that Selmer, I'm not really buying the logo style.  Instruments of that vintage typically had either no logo or a fancy one.  In any case, the only time I've ever seen such a simplistic logo is on a backyard-stencilled "Barclay" with block letters.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »
I've seen that Selmer logo before.  It is quite simple, and may not be original to that clarinet, however.  80-90 years gives several potential past owners plenty of time to meddle.  Curious, indeed.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2016, 03:00:34 PM »
I can barely even tell what's going on with the keys on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Albert-System-Clarinet-Unidentified-READ-DESCRIPTION-/391532703454?hash=item5b292aeede:g:h0AAAOSwV0RXsMcl

Dave,
That's the most sophisticated Albert I have ever seen.  I'd very much like to know who made it.
It's certainly old, but not too old (1920-1940s?), and I'll hazard a guess that it's a B&H.  They were one of the few Western manufacturers still making Alberts after it was no longer "cool", and the joints flare out like all B&Hs.  I know there were other manufacturers who flared their joints, but none so pronounced as Boosey.
As for the lack of the barrel and bell, I'm sure Backun could have this "little dandy" outfitted with one phone call.

Well I won it.  $63 for a neato Albert.  I don't feel like dropping G's on Backun's stuff, but luckily I got some random barrels and bells that may fit :)

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2016, 05:07:25 AM »
That's a German system, very recent key work, well, last 30-40 years at least. These get a fairly standard bell, but an unusually short barrel;- 57 or 59mm. They also play best with a German mouthpiece and reed.

What you have is very much (one ring different) like my Mollenhauer German system that I am still needing a barrel for. A was able to get the barrel dimension from a seller that had an identical one for sale that I didn't bid on. I'm glad you got that one, Dave. I intended to bid on it but forgot all about it.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical

Offline andybeals

• Proud alto clarinetist
  • Hi, my name is Andy and I have a Clarinet Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »
Does that go to Eb?  If so, I've been playing its brother for the past year.  He'll eventually need to go home. 
The Clarinet Pages is where we answer the question: "Am I not a Clarinet and a Woodwind?"

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2016, 07:47:42 PM »

$204.77...I'd have been a potential bidder if I thought this would cap out so low. 
What killed it for the seller was instilling just enough doubt in the minds of those watching as to the potential playability, that a lot of folks backed off.
I sure hope one of you ladies or gents snagged it.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »
I totally missed out on it.  I was busy doing something stupid and by the time I remembered, auction was over.  DANG!

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2016, 10:38:13 PM »
Not to worry, Dave.
Here is just the woodwind you've been waiting for.
so unique is it, that it covers several bases at once!
And for this price, the seller will have people lined up around the block for days, just hoping for a better glance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUNDY-CLARINET-FLUTE-/302046140408?hash=item46535a57f8:g:qy0AAOSwa-dWqoBB

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2016, 10:54:58 PM »
Not to worry, Dave.
Here is just the woodwind you've been waiting for.
so unique is it, that it covers several bases at once!
And for this price, the seller will have people lined up around the block for days, just hoping for a better glance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUNDY-CLARINET-FLUTE-/302046140408?hash=item46535a57f8:g:qy0AAOSwa-dWqoBB
Ah yes, the elusive Bundy Boosey Flute...  I NEED IT

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical